Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving away from a full-size carry gun

Moving away from a full-size carry gun

Change seems to be the one constant in life and I'm flirting with it regarding my carry gun. Since I turned 21 15 years ago I have carried some version of a "duty handgun" concealed IWB Strongside. For years it was a Glock 19 in a Sparks Summer Special II, then for a brief stint an M&P 9 in a Comp-Tac Minotaur, and since 2014 it's been a Gen 4 Glock 17 in a JM V3.

While there's nothing wrong with the G17 in the V3, I find my general trend of dress (more tucked-in shirts) + 3 small kids (bending over, them hanging on me, etc) + perhaps just some laziness finding me with my J-frame in my front strongside pocket 90% of the time.

I'm not sure which came first (chicken and egg scenario), but my mindset is beginning to shift as well. I'm just a regular dude trying to live my life, stay safe, and keep my family safe. I'm not a cop and don't have off-duty requirements. I'm generally not a target for any reason and keep a good frame of mind about situational awareness (call it the Eagle Scout, or hunter, or whatever). Therefore, I'm finding myself of the mind that I'm very unlikely to get into any shooting situation at all, and that if I do, I can probably solve it with a J-frame.

Anyone else been down this road?

Now to the hardware side, I enjoy the J-frame, and it seems to have a good reputation. Mine is a no-lock 642 with a dab of orange paint on the front sight and a pair of CT Lasergrips.

Questions:
    1. Am I gonna get kilt in da skreetz and I 100% need to go back to the G17?
    2. If I'm on the right track, is the J-frame the way to go, or should I look for something with a flatter profile like a G43 (or something else).
    3. If #2 = yes, then what else?

Thanks!
    Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Based on what I've heard from Lucky Gunner's pocket pistol series and from Active Self Protection usually when you shoot at someone with anything they bug out.

For me a Glock 26 can drop in a pocket and has enough rounds that I should be able to fend off even most outliers I would think. Plus a G17 mag as a reload, everyday folk probably aren't going to need 28 rounds so I should be good.

Not to mention just being aware and not looking like easy pickin's will prevent the vast majority of attacks anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    For me a Glock 26 can drop in a pocket and has enough rounds that I should be able to fend off even most outliers I would think. Plus a G17 mag as a reload, everyday folk probably aren't going to need 28 rounds so I should be good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    if you empty one 30rd mag in civilian world USA you are going to be on the news.....if you empty TWO you are going to be in the encyclopedia......
    Yippee ki-yay

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I think most people in this community go in cycles when it comes to how much they want to kit out.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

A few practice sessions with good drills at the range will help you answer your question.

For me:

Preferred: P-07 or G19. I shoot these guns very well, and have invested the time to be very confident in them.

Smaller gun: G43. This works very well for me because it’s similar to a G19. But, very tight or distant shots aren’t as fast as with a P07 or G19. And I need to carry more spare mags.

Mouse Gun: LCP. There are so many trade offs here, but this is what I carry if I need something small and light. I’ve practiced quite a bit with the LCP, and am confident I can use it effectively if needed. But, mouse guns are very hard to shoot well.

I would have to invest a ton of time to be confident with a snubby. These guns are really hard to shoot well.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 11-26-2018 at 01:39 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Semi samish life issue here as the op

Though I’m not ready to ditch a 17 rounder plus a reload for a 5 shot - I do sense I’ll move to something less long and heavy in my pants.

I think one needs to be cautious assuming the level of danger they’ll encounter will be small.

That said - carrying a gun and all other things defense related draws a parallel to fitness. Simply put if it doesn’t fit your lifestyle, you won’t do it.

So if you’ll 100% carry a small gun but only 90% of the time carry the full size then the answer is clear.
    Last edited by Duke; 11-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Based on what I've heard from Lucky Gunner's pocket pistol series
    + 1

I've been watching those videos on YouTube.

But because I'm too lazy to embed those YouTube videos right now, I'll just post the link to their Pocket Pistol Series on their web site (because I don't think there's a thread here about them)

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c...ocket-pistols/
    Last edited by BCG; 11-26-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Yippee ki-yay

Site Supporter
    A Glock 26 is very close in size and weight to a steel J-frame, but is much easier to shoot well. With an Aholster pocket holster and properly selected dress slacks, it works in a front pocket. When carried IWB, it is significantly more discreet and less likely to put holes in shirts, sweaters, etc. than a larger Glock.

For an even smaller gun that still provides a serious advantage over a J-frame, consider a G43, S&W Shield, Walther PPS, or similar single stack 9mm.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 11-26-2018 at 01:44 PM.

I've thought about this quite a bit.

Hi, my name is Lester, and I have a "carry rotation."

It's not as bad as it sounds though.

Often when people use the term "carry rotation" they are talking about carrying different guns (often with different operating systems) based on their particular mood that day. That's not what I'm talking about.

I choose from among a handful of carry guns depending on what I'm doing that day.

Typically when we go to town for the day, I carry a J-Frame. I can conceal it in just about any set of circumstances, and I consider it perfectly suited as a "break contact" weapon. I typically carry a single speedloader as a reload and I always have a folding knife and a handheld flashlight. So far, this had not gotten me killed on the street. We dont' take our four year old stuipd places where stupid people congregate to do stupid things, so I feel like we're ok. Whatever happens is likely to happen quickly, and aroudn witnesses. My wife doesn't shoot the J-frame particularly well, but the odds of her having to take it off my cooling body and go to work are pretty low, imo.

When we go on overnight family trips that don't involve a wilderness setting, I carry a Glock 19. Typically these trips involve some stints of interstate or rural highway driving, often in places where cell phone reception is spotty. I feel like it's worth "dressing around the gun" to have the extra capability that a 15+1 Glock 19, with a 17 round reload. When we stay in a hotel/cabin/rental home whatever, I attach a WML. My wife can rock the Glock 20.

For wilderness trips, I carry a Glock 20 and again attach a WML at night. My wife can shoot the G20 reasonably well.

I've been toting a Gp100 while out woodsbumming and such, just because I'm an American, and I can.

Honestly, I could get by with just the G19 and the J-frame. The Glock 20 and the Gp100 are because I'm a gun nerd.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I've thought about this quite a bit.

Hi, my name is Lester, and I have a "carry rotation."

It's not as bad as it sounds though.

Often when people use the term "carry rotation" they are talking about carrying different guns (often with different operating systems) based on their particular mood that day. That's not what I'm talking about.

I choose from among a handful of carry guns depending on what I'm doing that day.

Typically when we go to town for the day, I carry a J-Frame. I can conceal it in just about any set of circumstances, and I consider it perfectly suited as a "break contact" weapon. I typically carry a single speedloader as a reload and I always have a folding knife and a handheld flashlight. So far, this had not gotten me killed on the street. We dont' take our four year old stuipd places where stupid people congregate to do stupid things, so I feel like we're ok. Whatever happens is likely to happen quickly, and aroudn witnesses. My wife doesn't shoot the J-frame particularly well, but the odds of her having to take it off my cooling body and go to work are pretty low, imo.

When we go on overnight family trips that don't involve a wilderness setting, I carry a Glock 19. Typically these trips involve some stints of interstate or rural highway driving, often in places where cell phone reception is spotty. I feel like it's worth "dressing around the gun" to have the extra capability that a 15+1 Glock 19, with a 17 round reload. When we stay in a hotel/cabin/rental home whatever, I attach a WML. My wife can rock the Glock 20.

For wilderness trips, I carry a Glock 20 and again attach a WML at night. My wife can shoot the G20 reasonably well.

I've been toting a Gp100 while out woodsbumming and such, just because I'm an American, and I can.

Honestly, I could get by with just the G19 and the J-frame. The Glock 20 and the Gp100 are because I'm a gun nerd.
    ETA: I tried very hard to make the Glock 26 work for me, but it just doesn't work with my hands. I posted extensively in a thread about that, but I can't seem to find it. If it works for your hands it's worth checking out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List