Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fixed Blade....need a little help

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Until you can get to a SouthNarc class a guy named Ryan Hoover has a great DVD on clinch fighting with concealed weapons. I forget the exact title but google that and it will come up.
    https://vimeo.com/205277490

Ryan Hoover's "HR-1 Fighting Blade Instructional DVD;" is this what you meant?

"Ryan is Fit to Fight® co-founder and trainer of instructors in eight different countries. He is a 2nd degree black belt in Krav Maga and has black belts in multiple systems. He has co-authored three books on Krav Maga: KM for Beginners, Black Belt KM and KM for Women. Ryan is a certified natural trainer and speed, agility and quickness trainer. Some of his clients include James Anderson(NFL), Tracy Spiridakos (Actress). Ryan is also the co-founder of the self protection program, Hard Ready™, Pride™-the kids program, and Safer Campus Now™-active shooter defense program. Ryan is a Krav Maga Force Training instructor, as well as a Krav Maga Train the Trainer. He has been instrumental in developing defensive tactics curricula at the state level. Ryan owns two training centers in North Carolina."

Last edited by runcible; 12-06-2018 at 07:34 AM.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Great choice, I've been eyeballing an SAF with the new textured G10 handles but I need another knife like I need a hole in the head.

For books and/or videos, check out Jim Keating's Drawpoint Series. I also recommend Bob Kapser's Lost Tapes DVD if you can find it and his book, Sting of the Scorpion. They may be harder to find now that Paladin Press is no longer.

As always, real life training trumps books and DVDs but they'll give you a starting point and different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    Until you can get to a SouthNarc class a guy named Ryan Hoover has a great DVD on clinch fighting with concealed weapons. I forget the exact title but google that and it will come up.
    This guy?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

If that's the guy and the video in question, I have some concerns related to:

Use of an aluminum trainer against focus mitts, re: sustainability.

Use of an aluminum trainer in-plane or near in-plane with the eyes without some sort of additional eye-pro, re: sustainability.

He touched on wrist-control and pummeling drills, but I felt that they didn't really go anywhere in particular with either; though the idea of using a random stimulus in combination with pummeling drills and weapon access seems worthy of additional scrutiny.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

If you use Facebook, the SHIVWORKS AND SHIVWORKS ALUMNI page has videos taken from Edged Weapon Overview. (At least last time I looked before deleting Facebook)

User Tag List