Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fixed Blade....need a little help

New Fixed Blade....need a little help

After running into a very intense near conflict situation where I did not have my EDC pistol I decided I needed to get a good small fixed blade to carry in those situations. I thought about a clinch pick but I wanted total concealability under a T-shirt and I was worried about the below belt carry position. Either way I got a good tool and am committed to mastering that tool. Like most things it’s not about having the perfect tool but mastering the tool you have. I make no claim to be a ninja.

Today arrived a very nice Ban Tang SAF. I like it a lot (although I though it would be stupid sharp it’s basically just very sharp but that might partially because it is 3V with a carbonized edge)
    Name:  9458AAB4-70CA-4731-957A-750E50736F83.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  38.8 KB

Couple questions:
    1) Any suggestions for basic training/tutorial (I am around ATL if that matters) good starter video?
    2) suggested clip? (combined with carry location) since it is more of a pistol replacement I considered strong side AIWB grip in. Could also go small of back or weak side at a 45 degree angle
    3) best idea for a trainer blade?

Thanks
    Amurr
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Amurr; 12-04-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Might see if @SouthNarc or @Cecil Burch gets to ATL with any regularity.

Also, Mike Janich (MBC) gets to Okeechobee, FL with some regularity. I’ve trained with Janich a couple of times, and like him.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

A Discreet Carry Concepts clip would be my first choice, potentially with a narrower sheath.

Look up Edged Weapons Overview with Southnarc and follow all of the Shivworks social media, lots of content to get started with.

Nok knives make great trainers.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    A Discreet Carry Concepts clip would be my first choice, potentially with a narrower sheath.

Look up Edged Weapons Overview with Southnarc and follow all of the Shivworks social media, lots of content to get started with.

Nok knives make great trainers.
    You wanna make me a sheath?

Contact Nick at Bladerigs. Tell him what you are looking for and he will make you the ideal sheath. Nick uses Discrete Carry Clips. You will probably have to send the knife to him.

https://bladerigs.ecwid.com/?fbclid=...UrM6dQdF6JnxE0

I can.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Tom makes great gear. I went with bladerigs for my edc SAF and couldn't be happier with it. There's pics in one of the knife threads or I can snap some more later. I'm going to order one of the 7" traoners from Sayoc which should be pretty close the the SAF since I can't seem to get Ban to make me a trainer.

Edit: link to pics.
    http://https://pistol-forum.com/show...-knives/page65
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 12-05-2018 at 10:52 AM.

Until you can get to a SouthNarc class a guy named Ryan Hoover has a great DVD on clinch fighting with concealed weapons. I forget the exact title but google that and it will come up.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here is my plan right now:

1) gonna order the $12 DCC clip and put it on the current sheath. Will let me see what I like/don’t like/position etc.
    2) will look for that DVD to get acquainted with some basics
    3) after I do that basic work I will need to work on:
    1. Getting a trainer
    2. Taking a class
    3. A more customized holster depending what I find is lacking/can be improved On

Thanks much
    Alex

DSG is great to work with.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List