Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Gear

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    I've had the opposite experience with regards to customer service. The shipping times kept pushed back and customer service would seemingly make up a new date each time I contacted them. This happened a few times.

That said, if you go in with expectations appropriately set and can afford to wait (or cancel and reorder elsewhere if urgent), you can find great prices on stuff. Any delays aren't due to them stringing you along and you'll get your stuff eventually, you just need to stay patient.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeepingAngel View Post
    And I wouldn't doubt OK's ability to get cold. I spend a winter at Fort Leonard Wood (a bit north and east of there) - the winter wasn't as harsh as Fort Drum, but Leonard Wood, Drum, and Richardson were all about the same temp on any given day. While I don't normally associate the state with cold, hearing the night temps get frigid is unsurprising.
    I arrived at Ft Still on February 9th, 1988 and it was FRIDGID. Oklahoma gets that humid wet cold and it just eats right into your bones

Merino wool socks make all the difference for starters. I wear Under Armor 2.0 Baselayer top and bottom under my uniform for central IL work. The 2.0 works well if you're moving but I would actually go up to the 3.0 if I did it again as a lot of the time when I'm standing outside and need it, I'm stationary. I do wear my winter jacket's liner jacket fairly often too though.

She ended up buying a set of the Cabela's brand extreme cold weather. I've looked at it before and it has a very similar construction to the .mil stuff. Not sure if she worked last night or not. It was 18 here when I woke up this morning and felt cold. Not sure what it was in Central Ok but probably was cold there too.

Thanks all for the help.

That Cabelas stuff will work; I've got a set for real cold (for here) nights and predator hunts.

One issue L/E has is uniform requirements - outdoor sport color and mil colors may well not match agency requirements. I can use bottoms from several differents companies but only Under Armour tops.

Spent a winter in Oklahoma. The descriptions of its type of cold are on target.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    One issue L/E has is uniform requirements - outdoor sport color and mil colors may well not match agency requirements. I can use bottoms from several differents companies but only Under Armour tops.
    I just make sure to wear a black shirt over the thermals

Lots of merino wool companies have pro deals for LEOs. Smartwool, Minus33, First Lite, Icebreaker, etc. Definitely worth signing up for.

Perhaps also invest in some handwarmers? I've not tried them yet, but I've recently purchased a couple of catalytic hand warmers in anticipation of my winter trip, and I can see them being useful when standing by to stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I just make sure to wear a black shirt over the thermals
    For us the requirement is white. Meh. My concern, issue (?) with that is it runs counter to how those are designed to work.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    For us the requirement is white. Meh. My concern, issue (?) with that is it runs counter to how those are designed to work.
    I was always taught to wear the thermal layer as underwear (nothing under it). My uniform shirt and a sweater are over the top of it anyway so I don't see how having a t-shirt over it as well is going to change anything

I'm pretty used to working in the cold. I spent 10 years as a commercial lobsterman here in RI. Jan and Feb got pretty sporty some years.

I like nice stuff for hunting, cheap stuff for work. I love smart wool but normal thermals from Walmart are fine. Get enough to wear for a week. Wool socks with dress socks or liners underneath are good. Neck gaters, wool or fleece stocking cap and thin fleece gloves are all good to have. I have a pair or insulated mechanix gloves that rock.

Check the sportsman guide for surplus/unused stuff.

User Tag List