Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Gear

Hammertime
    Capilene and other polypro/polyesther stuff is very comfortable and dries super fast. But it stinks, as in smells in short order.

Wool baselayers from Ibex, Smartwool, or Icebreakers are not cheap, and they itch slightly, but can be worn a week and not stink which puts them high on my list of baselayers. My preference is Ibex>Smartwool>Icebreakers, but that is sort of a religious discussion. The stuff lasts for years of seasonal use as well.

Until retirement I spent my entire life living between Lake Erie & Lake Ontario, miserable cold and snow. If you are on a detail that is going to leave you outside in the elements
    Columbia Baselayer Premiere couche with Omni-Heat. It is thin and cuts down on the effect of wind. If going in/out as others have mentioned in this thread a good medium weight merino wool set-up is very nice. For me one of my favorite cold weather uniform items was the heavy wool sweater, think they came from England, sweater was better than most of the winter issue coats. If her Dept. allows they are wonderful.

Banned
    I have been working nights outside in Colorado for the last 10 years. I spent most of those shifts outdoors on foot. I haven't found anything that even comes close to the Army gen 3 ECWCS thermals

https://www.armynavyoutdoors.com/mil...UaAmIbEALw_wcB

I worked 11-7 last night. The temperature was 3 degrees. I was wearing the silk weight thermals under the Polartec "waffle tops". Because of uniform requirements I had on a light black sweater. Then my uniform shirt (probably made by the same company that makes your sister's uniform) BDU pants and a sweater similar to the ones the Army used to issue with the class Bs. I also had on a Polartec beanie

I'm not going to say I didn't notice the cold but I wasn't uncomfortably cold. I was able to perform my duties all night.

I buy mine from the surplus stores. I pay about 30 bucks for an entire set
    Last edited by Cypher; 12-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PD Sgt. View Post
    I am a big fan of Patagonia capiline baselayers. They come in various weights, and I have used them for years while standing out in the cold for hours working bar jobs. Good socks are a must as well, I like Smartwool personally.
    This! Best base layer I’ve used.

Tried lots

I am a big fan of Capilene also. I have found that it doesn't wick as much sweat as I would like but keeps me warm.
    I also have Helly Hanson in light and medium form. Not bad. I like the fit. Not as warm as Patagonia.
    I have 2 pairs of North Face. Unless you get it for free, not really that great. Like a lot of their gear, fit is meh and function about the same.
    I have just purchased a Mountain Hardware base layer that I found on Steap and Cheap. Amazing! This is the thinnest warmest base layer I own. Looking to pick up more.
    Best of luck!
    Buy Nice or Buy Twice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have been working nights outside in Colorado for the last 10 years. I spent most of those shifts outdoors on foot. I haven't found anything that even comes close to the Army gen 3 ECWCS thermals

https://www.armynavyoutdoors.com/mil...UaAmIbEALw_wcB

I worked 11-7 last night. The temperature was 3 degrees. I was wearing the silk weight thermals under the Polartec "waffle tops". Because of uniform requirements I had on a light black sweater. Then my uniform shirt (probably made by the same company that makes your sister's uniform) BDU pants and a sweater similar to the ones the Army used to issue with the class Bs. I also had on a Polartec beanie

I'm not going to say I didn't notice the cold but I wasn't uncomfortably cold. I was able to perform my duties all night.

I buy mine from the surplus stores. I pay about 30 bucks for an entire set
    I have two full sets of that stuff along with the silk weights. It’s my favorite too. It’s not as good in the wind in my experience but not much is with out an outer layer. Thanks for the link.
    Last edited by MGW; 12-04-2018 at 09:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    Have sis check out http://lapolicegear.com

They have good sales and closeouts. Over the years I've bought a lot of clothes, cases, boots, and knives from them. The place for me has had excellent customer service.
    Last edited by willie; 12-04-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I have two full sets of that stuff along with the silk weights. It’s my favorite too. It’s not as good in the wind in my experience but not much is with out an outer layer. Thanks for the link.
    I agree wholeheartedly; I've spent many a cold day/night waffle top under a windbreaking outer lay will handle the vast majority of what CONUS can throw at it, much of it in the Lake Ontario/Lake Erie region @$teve described. There may be better out there, but it's a solid piece of kit and one of the best things to come out of the ECWCS products.

And I wouldn't doubt OK's ability to get cold. I spend a winter at Fort Leonard Wood (a bit north and east of there) - the winter wasn't as harsh as Fort Drum, but Leonard Wood, Drum, and Richardson were all about the same temp on any given day. While I don't normally associate the state with cold, hearing the night temps get frigid is unsurprising.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Have sis check out http://lapolicegear.com

They have good sales and closeouts. Over the years I've bought a lot of clothes, cases, boots, and knives from them. The place for me has had excellent customer service.
    I've had the opposite experience with regards to customer service. The shipping times kept pushed back and customer service would seemingly make up a new date each time I contacted them. This happened a few times.

That said, if you go in with expectations appropriately set and can afford to wait (or cancel and reorder elsewhere if urgent), you can find great prices on stuff. Any delays aren't due to them stringing you along and you'll get your stuff eventually, you just need to stay patient.

slight thread drift but still related to keeping warm. Wool socks helped me a lot. Once my feet get cold it was always down hill from their. Cotton and synthetic socks just cannot compare.

User Tag List