Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Weather Gear

Cold Weather Gear

My sister is a deputy in Oklahoma. She's working nights for the first time and freezing her ass off. Like most LEO she hates wearing a coat and is looking for stuff to wear under her uniform and vest. I wanted to buy her some long underwear that would help keep her warmer. Most of the stuff I use for .mil work is probably too bulky for her.

Could anyone give me some recommendations for some gear that works, will last, and won't break the bank? Also looking for a pair of gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    My sister is a deputy in Oklahoma. She's working nights for the first time and freezing her ass off.
    "Freezing her ass off" and Oklahoma don't go together in my head for some reason.

Pretty much any close-fitting polypropylene long underwear is a good start. I have some cheap stuff that I bought from WalMart at least a decade ago that works well, even in Wisconsin winters.

Site Supporter
    I am a big fan of Patagonia capiline baselayers. They come in various weights, and I have used them for years while standing out in the cold for hours working bar jobs. Good socks are a must as well, I like Smartwool personally.
    Polite Professional

I like the Mechanix brand insulated gloves as well as the Serius brand that is a neoprene type glove. Underarmor makes some good heavyweight thermal bottoms and I also use some from Omni Wool that Sams’s Club sells

Gloves need to be tested for gun compatibility, some have too much cushion to work trigger safeties or holsters.

I would rather blast the heater and change sweaty socks 2-3 times a shift, than trying not to find some balance of not too cold, not too warm, and keeping my feet dry for 8 hours.

A boot dryer is golden. Boots that are wet or just have residual dampness will be cold and miserable.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I’m in Arizona so “freezing” is a relative term here. It gets in the mid 30s to low 40s at night. I can’t wear a jacket over my vest.

My base level is Underarmor cold gear with light polypropylene on top of that. I’ll put a turtleneck on and a 511 combat shirt. My BDU pants and the BDU material of the sleeves helps with the wind. I keep my car heater in the mid 60s so there’s not a huge shock when I step out.

Insulated boots are your friend too.

ETA There was one night where it snowed here. It was below freezing without the wind chill. The whole week was record colds. I went on an alarm call on the edge of the city on a night with a high wind. My car thermometer showed mid 20s. It was the coldest I’ve ever felt in AZ. I had expedition level polypropylene underwear that really helped. It’s bulky though.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 12-04-2018 at 12:46 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Kuiu underlayer stuff is the best IMO but it is priced to match that performance.

Eddie Bauer has really good merino base layer stuff including leggings for women, probably about 100 for a top and bottom set but if she wears it out they will replace it.

I’ve got a set of Columbia that I’ve been pretty happy with as well, that might run a bit less than the EB stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cold Weather Gear

I prefer merino wool baselayers for anything mid 20’s and below. The brand I use is called meriwool you can search for it on amazon. They have different weights depending on temperature and I will wear multiple sets if it’s cold enough.
    Last edited by PearTree; 12-04-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    I concur that Patagonia Capilene is a go to for syth stuff when price is not an object and durablity (sp) is key. A set could run you 80 ish to 100ish.

Sierra Trading Post has been a great source for baselayers and the items often exceed the intersection of quality and value with sets running 20-40 easily.
    https://www.sierratradingpost.com/al...rt=LowestPrice

Additionally, my daughter who is attending school in NYC tells me that many a lady is using "Heat Tech" by Uniqlo at about 30 a set with good results
    https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/women/heattech-collection

Finally, Costco often has the "32 degree" brand of stuff on sale. a set of these should run 20ish and when coupled with the Kirkland brand merino wool socks 4 prs/15ish, you can be quite warm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    "Freezing her ass off" and Oklahoma don't go together in my head for some reason.

Pretty much any close-fitting polypropylene long underwear is a good start. I have some cheap stuff that I bought from WalMart at least a decade ago that works well, even in Wisconsin winters.
    I've had lots of Yankees that I've encountered here during Texas winter weather events and they've said they've never been colder. Oklahoma is even worse, since its weather is not Southern, but is High Plains with all the cold, wind and enough snow to make it interesting. In either 1995 or 1997 ASLET held their conference in Dallas in January. Ron Avery lasted less than 10 minutes in an outdoor firearms class and he's from Colorado.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List