Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LE Drone Pilots

Site Supporter

LE Drone Pilots

Looks like I am being sent to school next quarter to become a drone pilot. Two of our guys have already gone, but haven't taken the federal (07?) test to become licensed. They said that it is a really hard test and thier attempts at the pre tests were very discouraging. Both guys are smart and more tech savvy than I.

Does anyone have resources that they have used to prepare for the FAA exam?

Or do I just have to take the class and wing it?

pat

I’ve always liked the Gleim test preps for FAA written tests.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/pilots/remote-pilot/

It’s Part 107 for Commercial Drone Operations. I’d quibble with you over “operator” vs “pilot,” but you’re probably not deep enough into it yet for you to get the “joke.”

Anyway, I used, and have taught my students to use, the ASA Prepware apps to prep for the written exam, and I never failed a written (I’ve taken five so far to get up to helicopter CFI) nor had any of my students fail. They’re pretty straightforward and closely mimic the actual layout of the written exam, and use the exact same question bank the FAA uses.

That being said, I’ve also heard good things about Gleim, Sheppard Air, and a few others.

Study, a lot, and you’ll do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher View Post
    It’s Part 107 for Commercial Drone Operations. I’d quibble with you over “operator” vs “pilot,” but you’re probably not deep enough into it yet for you to get the “joke.”

Anyway, I used, and have taught my students to use, the ASA Prepware apps to prep for the written exam, and I never failed a written (I’ve taken five so far to get up to helicopter CFI) nor had any of my students fail. They’re pretty straightforward and closely mimic the actual layout of the written exam, and use the exact same question bank the FAA uses.

That being said, I’ve also heard good things about Gleim, Sheppard Air, and a few others.

Study, a lot, and you’ll do fine.
    Is that still a thing? I didn’t think the FAA published their question bank/answers anymore.

My last private student used the Sporty’s test prep and really liked it.

EDIT: Found the answer. They have a bank of sample questions that are separate from the actual knowledge test questions. Back when I was doing it, I just memorized the questions/answers, but those days are done.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/fi...wers.pdf#page7

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Is that still a thing? I didn’t think the FAA published their question bank/answers anymore.

My last private student used the Sporty’s test prep and really liked it.

EDIT: Found the answer. They have a bank of sample questions that are separate from the actual knowledge test questions. Back when I was doing it, I just memorized the questions/answers, but those days are done.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/fi...wers.pdf#page7
    Huh. I didn’t look yet, but I wonder if the change happened with the implementation of the ACS. We heli folk are STILL using the PTS, and we were told the ACS - Rotorcraft was coming “any day now” when I did my training lol. Good to know, thanks for setting me straight! I’ll admit I’m a bit behind things as medical issues have kept me out of the cockpit for nearly a year now.

Site Supporter
    Thanks much, all. I am about 15 minutes of research since learning of this. PF is where I came after talking to the guys.

I don't know anything, and barely know that.

pat

I am a drone operator at my agency. However, we are not required to take the 107 test. As a public service entity, we operate under an FAA COA (Certificate of Authorization/Waiver) because we don't fly for commercial purposes. We are required to take a pre-approved class, which is essentially a 107 prep class.

I second the ASA Prepware app, it’s what I used and I passed the 107 test on the first try.

After the test, where are people learning to fly drones? Are there recommended training companies for hands-on flying training?

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Kansas State University has a very good UAS instructional program (program page here) that includes a 3-day Part 107 class. I took it in late '19 and passed handily (right before COVID killed our drone program in its infancy, sigh). I can't vouch for the quality of K-State's LE-specific courses, but if they're on par with the Part 107 class, it might be worth a boondoggle trip to Salina.
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

User Tag List