Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cold Weather Gear

If you can get past the brand and the price, I have some Nike Combat cold weather bottoms which unlike traditional thermal wear are designed like compression tights, no bulk but they are quite warm.

Another “vote” for Patagonia Capilene base and middle layers, and Smartwool socks.

We do not always have much of a winter, in SE Texas, so I can skip multiple winters years using my thicker “Expedition-weight” Capilene, but when cold happens here, it can be epic. When standing for hours in freezing rain, during one Houston Marathon, with icecicles hanging from my duty hat, I was toasty warm, underneath it all.

Notably, odor clinging to the Capilene can be mitigated by wearing summer-weight Ex Officio T-shirts and briefs, underneath the Capilene base layer. This makes being trapped on duty, for multiple shifts, a more pleasant experience. (Capilene does not retain B.O. nearly as bad as all-polypro underwear.)

Smartwool socks have an amazingly low-odor-retention factor, summer or winter.
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-06-2018 at 02:20 PM.

User Tag List