Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recently released study of OIS and officer accuracy

Recently released study of OIS and officer accuracy

The research only followed Dallas PD, but I'll bet the results would be similar at almost any agency. Some takeaways? The importance of scenario based training and range training with moving targets. And the fact DPD averaged 10 single officer OIS per year. That didn't include those involving more than one officer or subject.
    http://www.policeone.com/police-prod...ency-stack-up/
    Last edited by iWander; 12-04-2018 at 05:21 AM.

Wow. Some surprising (to me) patterns. And what the heck IS a sentinel event? This thing I've been saying, I do not think it means what I think it means. :O
    Last edited by JHC; 12-04-2018 at 08:56 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Hammertime
    “Overall, about one-third (35 percent) of all officers’ rounds hit the targeted suspect. Most of those who had “perfect marksmanship” fired only one round.”

A sentinel event, Donner and Popovich explain, is “a significant negative outcome,” such as an unjustified use of deadly force.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    “[O]fficers were more accurate when shooting at unarmed suspects.”
    Well, no shit, as those are generally going to be contact or near contact shots.

Half the officers “were entirely inaccurate,” including one who fired 23 misses!
    *sigh* yeah, everyone's got that guy and he skews the results. Usually running the gun like a sewing machine.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

23 misses in a row is impressive. Means at least one reload, unless that was with an AR (even worse) or a Glock 9mm with a 33-rounder...

Completely different when rounds are coming at you.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    23 misses in a row is impressive. Means at least one reload, unless that was with an AR (even worse) or a Glock 9mm with a 33-rounder...
    IF that’s the one I’m thinking about, it involved a suspect with a rifle, a car for cover, and quite a few rounds getting absorbed by the car. That also allowed a second officer to flank and engage the suspect. If that’s the one, yeah he “missed” a lot.

Unobstructed shoot and misses are a whole different ball park than probable hits getting absorbed by cover, and that’s a whole different ballpark than a probably ND out of the holster due to our staging the trigger training or poor trigger discipline.

I’m glad that someone finally got access to some of out OIS data, it’s too bad that couldn’t do anything useful with it.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Completely different when rounds are coming at you.
    Hence the need for realistic FoF with pain feedback. It's as close as you can get without actually taking fire.

My police action was so much like a FoF we'd done at in-service my internal voice actually commented on the similarity.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I've suffered through a lot of poorly conceived scenario training conducted without much of a plan using actors who often times did not stick to the script they were given, supervised by older female sergeants with large asses who spent much of their career attempting to micro-manage the activity of patrol officers from the safety of their office.

I did not find my participation in such activities to be of value.

Nobody cared that the training was pointless, or that it may have even reinforced bad habits, they were just happy that they could say "look! We did scenario training!"

As a result, I prefer live fire training that has an objective standard. Either you hit the target in the A zone or you did not. Enduring a subjective evaluation of my activities delivered by somebody I had no respect for who had not done a building search or high risk traffic stop in years (or maybe ever) did nothing to build my skills and was a waste of time.

A lot of people who have never done anything like to conduct scenario training because they get to order people around.

I am sure that properly conducted scenario training would be of great value. I would like to participate in some one day.

User Tag List