Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint Micro H-1 4 MOA

Aimpoint Micro H-1 4 MOA

I recently acquired a new H-1 during a good Black Friday deal, but when I received it I noticed it was 4 MOA. I already have a 2 MOA H-1, so at first I was a little disappointed. I decided to put the battery in and give it a look. To my surprise, the 4 MOA Dot seems much crisper than my 2 MOA Dot. Is this normal, is it a common thing, and does anyone else prefer the 4 MOA dot for a similar reason?

The size of the two dots doesn’t seem that much different (certainly not double), just the overall shape is. I would imagine the 2 MOA would be a better option if using a magnifier? This particular dot is intended for home defense, so it will not be used for extended distances.

Yes very much so.

I made a post about it actually:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....etched-reticle

Basically what I've found is that because I had laser eye surgery lights will sometimes starburst, at night car lights or street lamps in the distance. I suspect that because of this and the intensity of the light to make the red dot red dots end up either looking like starbursts or too dim to see. Bigger dots always look crisper to me than smaller dots.

That is the dilemma with any kind of dot for a rifle. How big do I need to make it crisp vs how precise and what kind of distances do I intend to shoot the rifle with?

Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    This particular dot is intended for home defense, so it will not be used for extended distances.
    In that case, I'd say the 4 MOA dot is the preferable choice anyway.

This is interesting as I’ve only seen smaller dots (~2 MOA) and always get starbursts or too dim. 4 MOA seems rare these days. I suppose one could also rock an RMR that has a 6.5 MOA dot (they weren’t originally intended for pistols you know...). I might have to investigate this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The bigger the dot, the crisper the dot. And, nobody has ever credibly shown that there is any real world difference between 2 and 4 MOA dots in actual use. The only real reason for the smaller dot was for magnifier use.

Rock on with that H-1 and enjoy it!
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 12-04-2018 at 11:59 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    This is interesting as I’ve only seen smaller dots (~2 MOA) and always get starbursts or too dim. 4 MOA seems rare these days. I suppose one could also rock an RMR that has a 6.5 MOA dot (they weren’t originally intended for pistols you know...). I might have to investigate this.

It was interesting to see.. I am not sure how that transfers to a pistol, but it looks really good down a carbine.

It’s an actual red circle, opposed to a slightly smaller 2 MOA cluster.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The bigger the dot, the crisper the dot. And, nobody has ever credibly shown that there is any real world difference between 2 and 4 MOA dots in actual use. The only real reason for the smaller dot was for magnifier use.

It appears my assumptions were correct; thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post

Just got a 6.5 MOA RMR for my Glock and it's a lot crisper than any dot I've tried so far. And it's funny you say it's not intended for pistols because I tried to mount mine to my pistol and it didn't work. I contacted Trijicon and they said I need this "kit" that is basically a sealing plate and shorter screws. I asked why they don't ship the plate and screws with the dot and their response was the dot was meant for a rifle where it wouldn't need either; the plate is only needed to guarantee the dot remains water tight because most pistol slides are too narrow to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post

C-More primarily makes dots in various sizes for their USPSA Open pistol dots and they have a really awesome page showing the size of various MOA dots relative to human shaped targets:

https://cmore.com/DotSize

A 6 MOA dot at 300 yards would cover an 18 inch target; an average 5'10 male has a shoulder width of 18" so even a 6 MOA dot could make hits on a average sized person at 300 yards

If you're keeping it inside 200 yards even an 8 MOA would work.

My work carbine has a 4 moa T1 with an original Aimpoint 3x magnifier on it. Been using it since ‘07 or ‘08. No issues with that combination within realistic work engagement distances.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 12-08-2018 at 01:26 AM.

I have a 4 MOA Micro. I put it on a pistol and love it!

I’ve shot some nice groups with a 4MOA Aimpoint. Just turn down the power a bit, get a smaller dot.
    #RESIST

User Tag List