Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A TDA day for a striker guy - Beretta LTT, PX4, and J-Frame.

Site Supporter
    I've got over 5k rounds through three full-size PX4s with zero stoppages. That includes bullet weights from 115-147 grains and velocities from not quite minor to HST +P. All of it was brass-cased, most of it my handloads. I'm with the consensus that says the ammo is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    PX4 = lots of frequent lubrication, + hot ammo for success.

PX4C in my limited experience was less demanding.
    Yes, my PX4CC has eaten everything I have fed it from steel to aluminum to brass, but that is also limited compared to some of my other pistols.

I'm hearing everyone on the ammo issue possibility. My plan is still to hit the outdoor range this AM using the aluminum cased Federal with some Remington 124 FMJ and Winchester NATO.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    SNIP

However I noticed that after years of shooting a G19 and a 92 my support hand grip will naturally slide up towards the slide lock and cause a stoppage. point being that perhaps a few of the stovepipes could be due to reduced slide velocity.

I've noticed the px4 is a bit picky with slide velocity. For example, if your hand slips off while loading a fresh mag, or you have a "lazy" slide from not getting slide all the way back, you'll get a reliable feedway stoppage. A few of your pics kind of look like that.

SNIP
    I am in a smilier boat with grip issues - my hand placement is such that with Berettas I usually ride the slide stop. The PX4 is the most forgiving for me, the 92 not so much.

As far as slide stall, yes - I had that issue when I first got my PX4CC. I was using basically the same grip I used with my Glocks (which is wrong and screwed up to begin with, but it works for me) and had stoppages. Learning that I could use a strong-hand-thumb-forward grip was awesome.

My full size PX4 has similar problems as yours, fairly frequently lately, with all ammo types.

My assessment is weak extractor springs on mine. I haven't taken the time to replace/retest as I find the PX4c/PX4cc much more of everything I want in a pistol lately.

UPDATE: *proper* lubrication seems to have solved the issue running 50 each steel, aluminum, and brass NATO. No stovepipes and only one failure to eject using steel cased ammo.

Of note, ejection is very consistent when there is still a round in the magazine (usually at 3 o'clock) - the last round fired may have ejection from 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock. Not an issue, just an observation.

With a rotating barrel action, my suspicion is that you're liable to have significant lubrication evaporation/cook-off and/or migration on the reciprocating and torquing components-and the surfaces that they interface with. On a rotating barrel pistol, I'd recommend a pervasive, heat resistant lubricant, such as Lucas Red "N" Tacky #2 Grease, particularly on the barrel breech, cam tooth, barrel cam tooth track, slide areas around the barrel breech where the barrel rotates, side/receiver rails, barrel exterior, inside the slide muzzle ring.

My thoughts are that you'll be loading the dice in your favor if you remain with quality factory brass cartridges.

While worth checking, I'd put extractor/extractor spring issues further down on the likely causal factor list with your problems. although I suspect that a periodic (annually/every 10K rounds) extractor/extractor spring removal, cleaning and inspection is probably worthwhile (and you might as well just replace the extractor spring while your performing this service).

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    My experience has been that standard gun oil works fine and that it doesn't need to be applied especially generously. I typically go about 500 rounds between cleanings. This has worked for me in classes and practice sessions.

Walmart sells 100 rnd boxes of Federal aluminum 9mm for $17.xx. The brass is $18.xx. / 100. I have not had any problem w/ that aluminum at all but I use brass in our local competition so I won't mess up the cleanup spoils for guys grabbing brass for reloading.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    My experience has been that standard gun oil works fine and that it doesn't need to be applied especially generously. I typically go about 500 rounds between cleanings. This has worked for me in classes and practice sessions.
    This design will be a bit different for me, my Glocks usually go 1000-3000 rounds between cleanings or lubrication. No big deal though.

User Tag List