Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Practices for Putting on a Stiker-Fired Gun While Seated

Site Supporter
    Your method is pretty sound. You could recline the seat as Runcible describes and try to “plank” or arch your body in the drivers seat as you put the holster on but it may conflict with your need for discretion.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-03-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Ah, Reading IS Fundamental (clearly I didn't do that). I blame spending all day locked in a room with a bunch of attorneys...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Ah, Reading IS Fundamental (clearly I didn't do that). I blame spending all day locked in a room with a bunch of attorneys...
    All of whom were likely arguing over what the definition of “is” is.

Site Supporter
    I frequently have to put on and remove a holstered Glock 26 in my car. The two things I make sure of are that the pistol is completely and properly seated in the holster and that I keep my thumb pressed against the striker control device (gadget). Note that getting the holster in place is easier with some holsters than others. It is very easy with my Garrett Industries Silent Thunder (single clip). It'd be considerably more difficult with my G19 holsters -- JMCK (two clips) and DSG (pull the dot loops). If you're going to make a habit of this, it'd probably be worth finding a holster that makes the task as simple as possible (likely a single clip that goes over the belt without a wing claw).

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Your method is pretty sound. You could recline the seat as Runcible describes and try to “plank” or arch your body in the drivers seat as you put the holster on but it may conflict with your need for discretion.
    That’s what I do, minus reclining the seat. I’m counting on the fact that 1) most people aren’t paying a bit of attention, 2) if they were they probably have no idea what I’m doing anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll add my voice to those that feel you have a handle on it. With a quality kydex holster enclosing the trigger guard, and the gadget, that’s about as good as you can do in that position. If it makes you feel nervous, good; that’ll keep you from slipping up on all the double-checks.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I carried a G19 in a kydex holster for years in and out of an NPE doing almost exactly as @runcible describes.

I never had any issues.

I also did the same procedure when carrying a 92. It was a total PITA but manageable. (I carry PX4 Compact now.)

Before I geared up, I always drive to an area where traffic was minimal to none and chances of getting made are minimal.

In different vehicles things may be more or less cramped depending how large you are.

In my 4runner, for example, I end up putting the gun on AIWB and sliding it around to my normal 3:30 position.

The SCD and good kydex holster are the only reasons I am semi-comfortable with this practice. Even so, I still get a little nervous every single time. That nervousness, as @Sidheshooter mentioned, is probably beneficial for keeping me focused.

If I'm driving my Silverado, it's large enough that I can discretely don the holster in the "V" of the rear door. But my commuter car is much smaller, hence the front seat contortions.

Thanks for the feedback, folks. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    That’s what I do, minus reclining the seat. I’m counting on the fact that 1) most people aren’t paying a bit of attention, 2) if they were they probably have no idea what I’m doing anyway.
    I believe this is how Spencer Keepers also teaches holstering while seated. In addition, put pressure/direction of the muzzle tip so that it is pointing away from the body as it is being put into the holster - basically the rotation/direction you are putting on the gun is the same direction as what a wedge is putting on a holster.

Also keep muzzle awareness as to not muzzle my legs while moving the gun back to the holster. Obviously putting on the holstered pistol which you're doing is safer than holstering while seated, which is good. I do find it to be much easier and safer though to just do the administrative handling in a nearby parking lot while standing when possible.

For what it's worth, I don't recline the seat at all; but I'm also shorter than most and generally drive SUVs. Other combinations may dictate otherwise.

The post is hugely leveraging Craig Douglas' VCAST curriculum, with modifications from my workplace. Bridging upwards until you have a flat plane described from the abdominals, through the hips, down to the knees both reduces the resistance involved with getting the gun and rig in place as well as deconflicting the muzzleline and bodyparts.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

User Tag List