Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: In the United States, we have a severe under-incarceration problem

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Yeah, that’s bullshit.

I was recently at a conference with 500+ narcotics agents. One of the speakers asked the room if anyone had ever put someone in prison for just marijuana. One guy out of everyone raised his hand. He said the only reason his guy went to prison was because his criminal history was absolutely terrible.

In my state, and I’d imagine most others (but not all), simple possession is a misdemeanor, punishable by no more than 11/29. People don’t generally go to prison for misdemeanors. Plus, my state is a “cite and release” state. Most people, barring a few exceptions, get written a ticket for most misdemeanors and never see the inside of the county jail.

I’ve been in LE for 11 years, narcotics for 9. I’ve arrested a LOT of drug dealers. I can think of maybe 2 that actually went to state prison.The rest got probation.

Because of that, we prosecute the majority of our targets in federal court. Even then, the US Attorney’s Office will not prosecute a marijuana case unless you literally have tons of marijuana involved. The only exception is if firearms/violence is involved.

Sure, there are a lot of marijuana users in prison. But they’re not there for using marijuana.
    I might be wrong but I'm thinking RR isn't talking about marijuana. I've never seen anyone OD on marijuana. Nobody gets arrested for possession of MJ in this state.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I might be wrong but I'm thinking RR isn't talking about marijuana. I've never seen anyone OD on marijuana. Nobody gets arrested for possession of MJ in this state.
    1. A dime bag generally refers to marijuana.

2. That comment was almost 4 years ago.

Site Supporter
    The inner city was my area. I taught in its school for 16 years. As a health inspector, I spent most of my time there. Please believe me when I say that many stereotypes apply. I won't explain the statement other than say at risk descriptors fit many. Also I worked in the local jail. We have a mobile society meaning that criminals have cars and often leave their areas and commit crime on the other side of town. In my town is a large university catering to affluent white people. I feel certain that our crime issue is a taboo subject. In my school district it is taboo. Among people not directly affected by crime, the subject makes them nervous. One reason is demographics of offenders. I describe a psychological phenomenon of denial displayed even by some who have been victims. Oddly the topic of black on black crime has become taboo. Some say that the topic offends many black persons.

We have a problem with too many offenders shooting and killing LE being taken alive in the aftermath.

(Yes, I'm sick over the losses of our brothers and sisters in blue.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    american society is crumbling to pieces at the top and the bottom. It seems like everyone from the very wealthy to the very poor have decided that predation and con artistry are the only ways to make a living, and anything resembling commitment to civic society died with the Greatest Generation.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We have a problem with too many offenders shooting and killing LE being taken alive in the aftermath.

(Yes, I'm sick over the losses of our brothers and sisters in blue.)
    On the other hand, it shows how professional our nation’s law enforcement officers are. They put the rule of law ahead of emotion even when taking into custody those that have killed their brothers and sisters.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    On the other hand, it shows how professional our nation’s law enforcement officers are. They put the rule of law ahead of emotion even when taking into custody those that have killed their brothers and sisters.
    I already knew that...but it was still worth saying, my friend.

I found myself in a situation like that once. The offender made it safely to lockup. (Though he did need to change his pants upon arrival.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Just a few things I've noticed locally is our Walmart is a no mans land because of the punks and predator's that hang out there. I stopped going there about 5 years ago after I had my vehicle damaged while shopping and a confrontation with some shit bags on a separate occasion. That parking lot seems to collect all of the parolees and future parolees in the area. We don't live there but we shop in the area. I informed the store about it several times and got no response.

The road rage is becoming a problem even in the rural areas. I had an issue yesterday with someone pissed off because I was driving the speed limit. They tailgated me, flashed their lights numerous times, honked and flipped me off when I turned off the main highway. I'm not sure why this person singled me out because there were vehicles ahead of me all going the speed limit on a rural road in a no passing zone.

Generally, I believe it's going to become full on Armageddon in a few years. When people are no longer prosecuted or incarcerated there's no reason for them to stop their criminal ways or even slow down.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The road rage is becoming a problem even in the rural areas. I had an issue yesterday with someone pissed off because I was driving the speed limit. They tailgated me, flashed their lights numerous times, honked and flipped me off when I turned off the main highway. I'm not sure why this person singled me out because there were vehicles ahead of me all going the speed limit on a rural road in a no passing zone.

Generally, I believe it's going to become full on Armageddon in a few years. When people are no longer prosecuted or incarcerated there's no reason for them to stop their criminal ways or even slow down.
    I was out and about in a city where I used to live that has a sizable population. The amount of just plain selfish, assholish behavior on display on the road was pretty unbelievable. Flagrant violations of traffic laws and just plain common courtesy abound. Basically it was an entitlement mentality rolling around, quite literally, in a Delta 88. And of course, were I to check them up on any of that, it would not end well for me. Grrrr!!!!
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Keeping with the theme, the NYPost just ran an article based on interviewing an author who wrote a new book after taking the incredibly difficult step of (GASP)...actually looking at prison statistics the very same way I did when I generated the original posts in this thread:

https://nypost.com/2022/08/06/why-a-...es-in-america/

it is wrong to base the “mass incarceration” theory on the large number of people we imprison compared with other developed nations, because America has vastly more violent inmates who kill or maim with guns, he writes.
    Mangual notes that in 2018, Germany, England and Wales collectively had 3,197 homicides spread out over 142.2 million people, a rate of 2.24 per 100,000. That same year, there were a combined 337 killings among just 472,604 people in 11 inner city areas of Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit and St. Louis — a rate of 71.3 per 100,000.

“This gap in homicide victimization rates goes a long way toward explaining America’s comparatively higher incarceration rate, particularly given the fact that many of the countries we are unfavorably compared to respond equally punitively to homicide convicts, who constitute a significant slice of our prison population,” he writes. Weapons offenses, he adds, “account for similar percentages of the UK’s and US’s adult prison populations, but with somewhere in the range of 400 million firearms in the US compared to just 4 million in the UK, the US simply has a greater number of gun offenders.”

He also pushes back on the theory that our prison population is overly bloated with minor drug-use offenders being unfairly held behind bars.

“Notwithstanding the widely held belief that incarceration is driven by the drug war, just 14.1 percent of state prisoners were incarcerated primarily for a drug offense, and the vast majority of them were in primarily for trafficking, as opposed to possession — an offense category that constitutes less than 4 percent of the state prison population.”

Even that 4 percent includes inmates who likely committed more serious crimes but pled guilty to lesser charges such as drug possession, he argues.
    In fact, he writes, the US justice system is actually lenient toward the worst offenders.
    According to a 2017 study on violent crime in Chicago, “on average, someone arrested for a homicide or shooting had nearly 12 prior arrests. Almost 20 percent of Chicago shooters and killers had more than 20 priors.” He cites a 2018 federal report that says 30 percent of convicted murderers and 64 percent of convicted rapists/sexual assailants nationwide were out in less than 10 years. "

It turns out that even the most basic level of due diligence completely eviscerates the bullshit "social justice" narratives about crime, sentencing, and incarceration. But things you need a chart to explain never work as well as shit you can yell through a megaphone.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List