Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: In the United States, we have a severe under-incarceration problem

Haven’t read the replies, or the article, but from the title and a bit of the OP alone…

Kinda goes to show you that prison isn’t the (best) answer.

I suppose we could get to some sort of U(dis?)topian future where we just simply keep locking people up after some recidivism milestone is reached. Probably the actual benefit to which would be that the offenders couldn’t reproduce as often.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    When you factor out justifiable homicides and crimes where the perpetrator and victim were known to each other the clearance rates even for homicide are frighteningly low...
    As are occurrence rates… particularly if you factor out dirtbag-on-dirtbag (although not “frightening”. Actually more like “reassuringly”). One random POS doesn’t have to know the other to kill him and steal his dimebag…
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If only we could go back (or forward) to the concept of justice being blind and punish the offender according to the severity of the crime without regard to race, ethnicity or social / cultural antecedents. One set of rules for everyone. This politically correct multicultural horse manure is beyond broken.
    That reminds me of the time Reagan told you...

Name:  Reagan.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  56.5 KB
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    As are occurrence rates…
    If you have the luxury of living in a relatively affluent and/or more rural area with a semi-functional criminal justice system and you avoid drugs, prostitution, and other similarly unwise activities your personal risk profile will be lower than someone who lives where the "dirtbags" live.

But if you don't live in an affluent or more rural area and have the misfortune of being near a public transportation hub, then you have a pipeline sending dirtbags directly to your neighborhood.

If you go to a Wal-Mart, there will be an abundance of dirtbags in the parking lot looking for an opportunity.

"I don't shop at Wal-Mart."

"My area doesn't have that kind of violent crime."

That's cool. But what you're saying is "My income is large enough that I can buy minimal risk from criminal violence."

The area where I live is one of those more rural areas where violent crime was a rarity.

Was.

I don't go to Wal-Mart. I don't have a public transportation hub near where I live.

I pick my gas stations carefully. I never go to an ATM.

I live in a nice area where people grew up not locking their doors because it was essentially Mayberry RFD...except that was people's idea. It has never actually been what people think it is. It's always had less cell space than it has had deserving shitheads who should have been on the inside of them. They do not occupy themselves exclusively robbing other shitheads that are just as broke and fucked up as they are. They go where the money is as best as they can.

One of the country's major interstates runs through the center of the place. Human trafficking is big business, especially trafficking children. It's sufficiently bad that there's an ICE office that has expanded multiple times because they needed more agents to work a nexus of meth, human trafficking, and child exploitation. They're pretty effective. MS-13 was the dominant force in the area for a while, but a joint task force of locals and feds hit them pretty hard and broke up their gun running, drug running, and brothels full of 10-14 year old girls brought in to service the "immigrant" population. Biker groups have been pretty unsuccessful at establishing a foothold because they're sufficiently fucking stupid to skyline themselves immediately and draw the eyes of every agency in the area. The organized outfits stay pretty low.

They're still here, though. And one of the things they do a fair bit of is provide shelter for people on the run for serious crimes committed elsewhere. Especially from DC and Baltimore. Local, state, and feds routinely snag people on murder warrants hanging out in the area. There's a mountain resort in the area (east coast version of mountains...I'm sure just "hills" to folks out west, at least until you try and hike some of it) that has beautiful hiking trails, bike trails, rivers and streams...it's gorgeous. It's also been discovered as great little resort area by Baltimore shitheads. So you go to a little rural country store and there's a rental car with Baltimore plates and a dude with prison tats smoking a blunt in the parking lot just watching the place on occasion. As it turns out, some of our gloriously beautiful natural attractions aren't just great places to hike, hunt, and fish...they're great settings for dumping the occasional body, too!

Twenty years ago I think there was a single police use of lethal force in the prior ten years. This year there's been a police shooting every month. Multiple police officers have been shot. One was killed.

And even well away from the ICE office in a part of the county where there are at least 10x as many cows as there are people, I was with a friend on his rural property in the gorgeous rolling hills when somebody in a grey Durango rolled by and dumped a magazine from a .45 caliber 1911 at us while we were standing on his lawn talking. The Sgt. from the local sheriff's office who showed up picked up the shell casings from the road with his hand and put them in his pocket. Unsurprisingly, the crime went unsolved. And by "unsolved" I mean un-investigated...at least by locals.

Point being, the rates of occurrence in my nice, peaceful, low crime area aren't anywhere near what people would think is a high crime area. And they're not, thankfully, especially compared to a place like Memphis. But it's still far higher than damn near anyone who isn't actually paying a lot of attention and doing their own research would know. The local media, such as it is, is owned by people with political connections to the same good ol' boy's network that has run the local police forces and commonwealth attorney's office for a generation. They ain't exactly doing any hard-hitting reporting on the rising issues with crime in the area.

Quite the opposite, and not just because of the good ol' boys network. There are about a dozen different church groups that think the area is a perfect place to settle "refugees" en masse. That has produced "diversity" in the area...and by "diversity" I mean that now if you go a block from a popular local Mexican restaurant you might get to experience the diversity of watching two Ethiopians stab one another in the street. Nobody wants to be impolite enough to point out the blessings of "diversity" that we are experiencing in greater numbers every year despite the fact that nobody here volunteered for any of it.

This discussion has been had before:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ic-Radio/page2

If you live in a genuinely safe place where violent crime committed against innocent people minding their own business is rare, thank your lucky stars. Because those places are far fewer and much farther between than lots of interested parties would have you believe.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Following up on this, things are not getting better. In fact, significantly worse:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/unsolve...ut-punishment/

Across a nation that is already in the grips of a rise in violent crime, murders are going unsolved at a historic pace, a CBS News investigation has found. A review of FBI statistics shows that the murder clearance rate — the share of cases each year that are solved, meaning police make an arrest or close the case due to other reasons — has fallen to its lowest point in more than half a century.
    "It's a 50-50 coin flip," says Thomas Hargrove, who runs the Murder Accountability Project, which tracks unsolved murders nationwide. "It's never been this bad. During the last seven months of 2020, most murders went unsolved. That's never happened before in America."

Of course, those numbers are based on UCR numbers, which we know dramatically underestimates levels of violent crime. Still, it makes for a powerful graphic:

Name:  murders.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  44.5 KB

3/15/2016

So it is now more important than ever to take every precaution to make sure my family and me are not murdered. It Damm sure ain’t gettn better.

Site Supporter
    This asshole killed one Deputy yesterday and wounded another.

https://www.al.com/news/birmingham/2...n-the-run.html

In October 2019, Hall escaped from the Camden Work Release Center.

He had started a nearly 10-year sentence the previous year after being found guilty of second-degree theft of property. It wasn’t immediately clear why he was out of prison, and when he was released.

Hall was on the run for more than a month when he was taken into custody following a police chase that ended in Georgia.

In that case, Oxford police officers tried to stop Hall when they spotted a vehicle that had been reported stolen out Pelham.

Police tried to pull over the vehicle but the driver – Hall – refused to stop and a chase ensued eastbound on Interstate 20.

The pursuit ended when Georgia State Patrol “pitted” the suspect at mile marker 5. Hall’s vehicle overturned but he was not injured.

At the time of his capture, Hall also had outstanding warrants in Chilton County for domestic violence.

While he was being held in the Calhoun County Jail in 2020 after his recapture, court records show, authorities say Hall attack an officer and tried to choke him.

He was charged with second-degree assault.

Hall was indicted in Calhoun County in May on 10 charges of second-degree receiving stolen property, reckless endangerment, second-degree assault, certain persons prohibited from carrying a firearm, drug possession, resisting arrest, attempting to elude and third-degree burglary.

Those indictments stem from the 2019 incidents in Calhoun County.

His other arrests took place in Chilton, Coosa and Tuscaloosa counties.

Germane to TC’s OP, we have this in my neck of the woods. You should see the interview room photos of the primary. What a shitbag.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...icer-resident/

https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...2-94b43a270c03
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Add that we are suffering from under commitment to a long term mental health facility for all the violent EDPs wandering around and we begin to shed light on why crime has gotten so bad.

Both the criminal element and clinically insane need to be either long term or permanently isolated from society.

When I first started into law enforcement I was working for a Sheriff’s office and was assigned to a jail. We had access to the computer system that combined data from booking, jail and courts. We primarily housed long term convicted prisoners awaiting transfer to the penitentiary. One trustee (one of the better of the bad guys) was lamenting about his up coming trip and said he was just misunderstood and needed a second chance. After he had wandered off on some chore my partner and I in the booking office pulled up his record. We determined that if he had served his entire sentence for his SECOND felony conviction he would 1) still be in prison (he was a younger guy) and 2) would have prevented over 40 misdemeanor and felony charges where he was CAUGHT and prosecuted.

Honestly the way we do criminal justice is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Who said we were?

The argument isn't that rapists and murderers are being released to make room for people busted with dime bags. It's that we're arresting and incarcerating more people with dime bags than we are violent offenders.

Maybe if we reallocated some resources from drugs and instead focused on violent crimes things could change?

Just a thought.

Then we have the issue of the drug war being a primary contributor to violence. I can't help but think there are alternative solutions overall. The question is - what social changes are necessary to eliminate addicts? Eliminate prescription opiods entirely? I think the alternative, make them OTC available and let the junkies simply die. No more Narcan, no more hospital admittances for OD'ing individuals? Harsh, but if you cut off the demanders - suppliers will burn themselves up fighting for smaller pieces of the pie. Eventually making it easier to focus on stemming the few remaining suppliers.
    I never could understand the Narcan thing. You want to save drug users who OD so they can do what? Buy more drugs and eventually kill themselves anyway? A friend of mine died from a drug overdose. Tragic but he was going to kill himself with drugs sooner or later anyway. For me it's kind of a natural selection thing. Works on the Serengeti Plain very well.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List