Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In the United States, we have a severe under-incarceration problem

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Who said we were?

The argument isn't that rapists and murderers are being released to make room for people busted with dime bags. It's that we're arresting and incarcerating more people with dime bags than we are violent offenders.

Maybe if we reallocated some resources from drugs and instead focused on violent crimes things could change?

Just a thought.

Then we have the issue of the drug war being a primary contributor to violence. I can't help but think there are alternative solutions overall. The question is - what social changes are necessary to eliminate addicts? Eliminate prescription opiods entirely? I think the alternative, make them OTC available and let the junkies simply die. No more Narcan, no more hospital admittances for OD'ing individuals? Harsh, but if you cut off the demanders - suppliers will burn themselves up fighting for smaller pieces of the pie. Eventually making it easier to focus on stemming the few remaining suppliers.
    Who is incarcerating people for a dime bag? I can't even get a narcotics detective to take my call if I'm not talking pounds.

And I'll let you in on a secret. The resources donated to drug enforcement ARE focused on violent crime. We know there's dope dealing everywhere. A decent narcotics detective could make busts literally anywhere in the county, some bigger some smaller, but literally everywhere. But they aren't evenly distributed. They are targeted in the areas where shootings, etc. erupt over the drug trade
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Who said we were?

The argument isn't that rapists and murderers are being released to make room for people busted with dime bags. It's that we're arresting and incarcerating more people with dime bags than we are violent offenders.

Maybe if we reallocated some resources from drugs and instead focused on violent crimes things could change?

Just a thought.

Then we have the issue of the drug war being a primary contributor to violence. I can't help but think there are alternative solutions overall. The question is - what social changes are necessary to eliminate addicts? Eliminate prescription opiods entirely? I think the alternative, make them OTC available and let the junkies simply die. No more Narcan, no more hospital admittances for OD'ing individuals? Harsh, but if you cut off the demanders - suppliers will burn themselves up fighting for smaller pieces of the pie. Eventually making it easier to focus on stemming the few remaining suppliers.
    I think you would quite enjoy this book: https://smile.amazon.com/Locked-Caus...dp/0465096913/

It really gave me some serious food for thought.

Site Supporter
    Has anyone pointed out that police spend much of their time answering calls pertaining to mentally ill persons and that many jail and other corrections resources are spent on these folks? And because we can no longer keep these folks secured in institutions, they occupy valuable time and use up funds that might be spent on fighting crime. My opinion is that the numbers of noncompliant citizens is increasing. Not all are criminals but many will fit that category.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    Only 5 at once?
    That’s all you can get with the J-frame lifestyle. Try to keep up on the threads, man.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I'd recommend "Ghettoside" to better understand the real criminal justice system. Murder is a very hard charge to get a conviction on. Selling drugs is a much easier charge to convict on. When the police have to target someone for drug distribution, who do you think they favor - that's right, murderers they can't make cases on.
    That really is a good read. i picked it up a couple of years ago after someone here recommended it. Maybe even you.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Great topic Tim.

It is interesting reading the law enforcement perspective on this. Its also a bit frightening.

My observation on this whole subject is that it seems like criminal mindset, criminal psychology, if you will, has devolved into something morbid: The competition to be 'badder' than the other bad guy creates a race to a place where we are. Street cred requires that you make the headlines for progressively worse crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Who is incarcerating people for a dime bag? I can't even get a narcotics detective to take my call if I'm not talking pounds.
    My county is. I just had a client who got sent to TDC for 5 years for possession of 1.05 g of meth. Because of prior pen trips he was eligible for a 25-99 enhancement. The shithead prosecutor took a dislike to him and refused to waive a jury trial, preventing us from going open to the court and essentially forcing us to accept his offer.

The client wasn’t going to win any good citizen awards but sending him to prison for 5 years for a personal use amount of meth is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    My county is. I just had a client who got sent to TDC for 5 years for possession of 1.05 g of meth. Because of prior pen trips he was eligible for a 25-99 enhancement. The shithead prosecutor took a dislike to him and refused to waive a jury trial, preventing us from going open to the court and essentially forcing us to accept his offer.

The client wasn’t going to win any good citizen awards but sending him to prison for 5 years for a personal use amount of meth is stupid.

A gram isn’t necessarily a user amount. Plenty of addicts buy sub-gram quantities, because that’s what they can afford. When we work street-level cases, we buy gram quantities from dealers all the time. Class B felony. I could easily charge and get a conviction of possession for resale with 1.05 grams of meth. Of course, the person would get probation, but whatever.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Maybe it's regional, but I've never heard "dime bag" applied to meth locally. Marijuana is the only thing I've heard it applied to.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I don’t know that it’s used that frequently here. I don’t ever hear my clients say it, but I don’t hang out with them either. I’ve always thought of it being used colloquially as a personal use amount of whatever.

That begs the question; how is he supporting his habit? Legally or illegally?

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

User Tag List