Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: In the United States, we have a severe under-incarceration problem

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    What a coincidence! And we both had the same Chief. Hmmm weird. The fickle hand of Gascan having fucked moves on.
    When Jorge jumped ship from us to take the DAs job (and screw that office up even more than Kamala), and poor Jeff Godown was left holding the bag and scrambling to find an exit, one of my coworkers observed "You know what these guys are? They're gypsies. They roll into town with their Compstat crystal ball, and tell everyone's fortune. Then, when everybody's dazzled by the bullshit, suddenly they've disappeared and you're looking for your wallet." Probably the most accurate description of those turds I've heard.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I’m beginning to think it’s a feature not a bug in the progressive plan. I anticipate the return of Committees of Public Safety.
    Ding!Ding! Ding!
    Winner-Winner, chicken dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    When Jorge jumped ship from us to take the DAs job (and screw that office up even more than Kamala), and poor Jeff Godown was left holding the bag and scrambling to find an exit, one of my coworkers observed "You know what these guys are? They're gypsies. They roll into town with their Compstat crystal ball, and tell everyone's fortune. Then, when everybody's dazzled by the bullshit, suddenly they've disappeared and you're looking for your wallet." Probably the most accurate description of those turds I've heard.
    And the guys who snuggled up close realize their gravy train is gone and there’s a bunch of angry people around.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Dude, don’t even get me started on calling 911 in the PacNW. I learned my lesson on that one; we are on our own, until the powers that be start supporting LE again.

And this is coming from someone who has some pretty good friends on the local PD force, mind.
    These days, calling 911 is simply a CYA measure to demonstrate that you called 911 and wanted a police response. You can't expect a police response anymore, and if you get a response, it'll be a completely ineffective one. Likely carried out by a street officer gritting their teeth wishing they could provide a meaningful and effective response, but are prohibited from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    These days, calling 911 is simply a CYA measure to demonstrate that you called 911 and wanted a police response. You can't expect a police response anymore, and if you get a response, it'll be a completely ineffective one. Likely carried out by a street officer gritting their teeth wishing they could provide a meaningful and effective response, but are prohibited from doing so.
    Maybe. You can't take that for granted anymore. (If you ever really could.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe. You can't take that for granted anymore. (If you ever really could.)
    A fair point. The friends I have still wearing a badge are all gritting their teeth and hoping sanity returns, and I felt compelled to give them due credit.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    A fair point. The friends I have still wearing a badge are all gritting their teeth and hoping sanity returns, and I felt compelled to give them due credit.
    And you know I applaud them for their zeal.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

We gave up on the sheriffs response a very long time ago. If there's some one around to call 911, then the call is made. If you have immediate business to take care of, you take care of it yourself, then call 911. The sheriff won't be there in time to solve your problem anyway but they can file a report. No illusions on my end of the island.

That may be the reason we have very little property crime or break-ins. Just isn't worth the risk evolved. I've been at my present address for 27 years and never had a break-in or property stolen. None of my neighbors have either that I know of.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-21-2022 at 02:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The Bureau of Justice Statistics gives further evidence that the narrative on incarcerating people for minor possession of controlled substances is utter bullshit:

https://bjs.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xy...ment/p21st.pdf

In state prisons, only 12.6% of prisoners are in on drug charges, and only a little over 3% are in for possession. Once again "progressives" are telling fact-free stories that have no bearing on how the real world works.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The Bureau of Justice Statistics gives further evidence that the narrative on incarcerating people for minor possession of controlled substances is utter bullshit:

https://bjs.ojp.gov/sites/g/files/xy...ment/p21st.pdf

In state prisons, only 12.6% of prisoners are in on drug charges, and only a little over 3% are in for possession. Once again "progressives" are telling fact-free stories that have no bearing on how the real world works.
    I filed dope cases for years. It was rare to see anyone get prison time for simple possession. The people who were career criminals who either got caught holding and caught prison because of their records or they took a plea for possession when they had multiple felony charges pending. The standard plea for Possession of Marijuana was a year of probation, a $750 fine, and completion of TASC(a drug program).

Another good one is “trespassing”. If someone went to prison for trespassing they took a plea for multiple burglaries. I’d run into guys on probation/parole and they say trespassing and I’d say took a plea for burglary huh?
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List