Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Do rifle hollowpoints clog and fail, too? (Graphic, hunting images)

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Perfect angle, perfect shot, seems like an appropriate .223/5.56 projectile will get the job done on smaller deer. A larger diameter, heavier bullet gives me more options on angles, which can come in handy on a big trophy, or following up on a wounded animal.

I get the appeal of hunting with your AR, but if I am running a bolt gun, it will be in a larger caliber.
    Heavy clothing produces similar results to animal hide, I've read numerous times on this forum. So here, let's see what a 150gr bonded .308 load does...

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun....aspx?id=24457

Looks like 18" of penetration and 0.75" expansion.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun....aspx?id=24475

75gr .223 looks like it manages 16.75" of penetration, and 0.57" expansion.

Obviously the .308 will be a bit more destructive, but we can also see above that the .223 expands and has enough KE to provide damage...but let me ask you about those angles again...what angle, exactly, are you counting on that extra 1.25" giving you that the .223 shooter will be denied?

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This. There is a logical disconnect. If you trust 5.56 to stop a violent 200# man with a firearm from killing you in the next few seconds, but don't trust it to kill a 150# deer inside a sensible timeframe/100 yards? Well...

Anyway, here is my 8pt buck I shot with 70GMX. it killed him dead. He ran 68 yards and piled up after leaving a blood trail Ray Charles could follow with his toes.
    Attachment 32949
    How much did he weigh? That looks like a fawn up here, I cannot speak from experience but I would guess a humans initial reaction is strikingly different than deer or other wild game when shot unless they are drt.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    How much did he weigh? That looks like a fawn up here,
    When I first moved to Oregon, I couldn't figure out why all the deer I was seeing were yearlings..
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTURBACK View Post
    How much did he weigh? That looks like a fawn up here, I cannot speak from experience but I would guess a humans initial reaction is strikingly different than deer or other wild game when shot unless they are drt.
    People and animals act the same in my experience. If theyre mad or drugged, they move until BP drops or CNS is disrupted. Otherwise you just scared them into compliance.

That is a respectable 8 point, here. I do not know what he weighed. I deadlift 405 and frontsquat 315, and he was a real bitch to load onto the 4 wheeler, but he was also...dead...weight and had no knurling. My best guess is 145 ish. I loaded him myself by getting my hands under him while squatting, then rocking back and rolling him onto my forearms and frontsquatting him up and then onto the 4wheeler raear rack (which had a 6"lip). It was harder than id like to admit.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 12-04-2018 at 12:49 AM.

Do rifle hollowpoints clog and fail, too? (Graphic, hunting images)

This was my buck from last year. Federal Fusion .223, 62 grain.

He was broadside at just under 100 yards and dropped right there.

All of our hunting on the family property (Texas Hill Country) is within 100 yards and we are confident we can ethically harvest our deer with that round.

Last edited by Indy5000; 12-04-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Heavy clothing produces similar results to animal hide, I've read numerous times on this forum. So here, let's see what a 150gr bonded .308 load does...

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun....aspx?id=24457

Looks like 18" of penetration and 0.75" expansion.

http://www.le.vistaoutdoor.com/ammun....aspx?id=24475

75gr .223 looks like it manages 16.75" of penetration, and 0.57" expansion.

Obviously the .308 will be a bit more destructive, but we can also see above that the .223 expands and has enough KE to provide damage...but let me ask you about those angles again...what angle, exactly, are you counting on that extra 1.25" giving you that the .223 shooter will be denied?

Bullets sometimes do not perform as designed, and when they don’t, I would rather have a .30 caliber hole than a .22 caliber hole. I also would like to have the option of shooting a deer from behind and reaching vitals.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bullets sometimes do not perform as designed, and when they don’t, I would rather have a .30 caliber hole than a .22 caliber hole. I also would like to have the option of shooting a deer from behind and reaching vitals.
    I agree, that's another key difference. I would never take a shot from behind. I hunt for recreation, and a big part of that for me is harvesting the meat. I'd be concerned about ruining too much meat. Also, our season is 3 months long and our limit is 2 bucks and 10 doe. It's not like we draw tags to go hunt some trophy for a week or two. Letting a deer pass because the angle isn't right is no biggie.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I agree, that's another key difference. I would never take a shot from behind. I hunt for recreation, and a big part of that for me is harvesting the meat. I'd be concerned about ruining too much meat. Also, our season is 3 months long and our limit is 2 bucks and 10 doe. It's not like we draw tags to go hunt some trophy for a week or two. Letting a deer pass because the angle isn't right is no biggie.
    If an animal is wounded, you may only have an unfavorable angle for a finishing shot. Buddy of mine just came back from two weeks of deer hunting on Kodiak, and he shot three deer that others had wounded. Ten years or so ago, I shot a wounded mule deer up the butt at 42 yards with a 329 and Garrett Defender ammo to finish him.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ten years or so ago, I shot a wounded mule deer up the butt at 42 yards with a 329 and Garrett Defender ammo to finish him.
    I think I’d be opting for the gutless method on packing that guy out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If an animal is wounded, you may only have an unfavorable angle for a finishing shot. Buddy of mine just came back from two weeks of deer hunting on Kodiak, and he shot three deer that others had wounded. Ten years or so ago, I shot a wounded mule deer up the butt at 42 yards with a 329 and Garrett Defender ammo to finish him.
    The 70gr GMX gives me well over 20" of penetration if it expands correctly. If it doesn't, it will do what any rifle bullet does and tumble wildly.

User Tag List