Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision AR Optic Mount

To geissele’s credit - my URG-I fell of the shooting bench yesterday. Standard concrete benches on top of a concrete walkway, maybe 3.5’ tall? The rifle is probably pushing 10 pounds and landed directly on the top of my brand new Razor that was mounted in one of their 1.93” mounts. I’m glad I didn’t see it and it’s still painful to think about, but if it shifted zero, it wasn’t enough for me notice. I’ll need a new turret cap and there are some marks just above the ocular lens but that was it. I’m sure it hit hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A voice of dissention here, but IMO Aero mounts are not strong enough for serious use. I tried one and actually broke it installing it (first time in 20+ years that I ever broke a scope mount). Where the ring halves latch together is mighty thin and with a bit too much tightening mine failed there. I called Aero describing the issue and was told I over-tightened it and they would not do anything for me (not that I expected they would). So it was basically $80 down the toilet. I also read on another forum of a rifle falling off a bench and knocking the zero way out (the scope itself was evidently fine).

After the Aero fiasco, I picked up a GG&G (non-QD) mount which was two ounces heavier but far more robust. That mount worked fine for me.

Currently I'm using a Daniel's Defense mount, which I very much like. It's available in 30mm and 1-inch, weighs less than six ounces yet appears adequately robust, and is very streamlined/snag-free. Unlike the GG&G, the DD can be mounted using the forward-most rail slot on the receiver and not bridge to the handguard;

Name:  scope-1.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  scope-2.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  82.3 KB

I'm also a believer in non-QD mounts, which are generally lighter and more streamlined/snag-free than the QD versions (the DD mount really excels in that regard). Unless I had multiple optic packages I'd be regularly swapping, I personally see no benefit to QD mounts. If BUIS are called for, I really like the Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights.

If $$ was no object, I'd roll with the Geissele.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 12-03-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    A voice of dissention here, but IMO Aero mounts are not strong enough for serious use. I tried one and actually broke it installing it (first time in 20+ years that I ever broke a scope mount). Where the ring halves latch together is mighty thin and with a bit too much tightening mine failed there. I called Aero describing the issue and was told I over-tightened it and they would not do anything for me (not that I expected they would). So it was basically $80 down the toilet. I also read on another forum of a rifle falling off a bench and knocking the zero way out (the scope itself was evidently fine)...

...I'm also a believer in non-QD mounts, which are generally lighter and more streamlined/snag-free than the QD versions (the DD mount really excels in that regard). Unless I had multiple optic packages I'd be regularly swapping, I personally see no benefit to QD mounts. If BUIS are called for, I really like the Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights.
    Did you over-tighten it? Don’t get me wrong, I lived by tight is good for years, but when I started going into precision rifles... bought an inch/pound torque wrench for it. I won’t mount a scope now without getting the screws to the correct torque. An aluminum mount... it is more important.

I am a believer in that, as well. If I can get the gun to use them, I do. If it is just a red dot, either cowitness or a quality QD mount. Prefer a non-QD mount when precision is desired.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Did you over-tighten it?
    Maybe. Used a torque wrench with a lowest setting of 25 inch-pounds, so I adjusted past (and below) that setting. The actual torque applied might have been 20 to 25 inch-pounds, but that was obviously too much. Not an indictment of other Aero products, but their current optic mounts are something I now avoid. Their less-than-sympathetic CS didn't instill confidence either.

FWIW, every other ring set I've ever used specifies 30 inch-pounds, and that's probably the maximum to avoid crushing the scope tube. Using the same torque wrench, I've tightened Seekins rings and the DD mount rings to their specified 30 inch-pounds with no issues.

A voice of dissention here, but IMO Aero mounts are not strong enough for serious use. I tried one and actually broke it installing it (first time in 20+ years that I ever broke a scope mount). Where the ring halves latch together is mighty thin and with a bit too much tightening mine failed there. I called Aero describing the issue and was told I over-tightened it and they would not do anything for me (not that I expected they would). So it was basically $80 down the toilet. I also read on another forum of a rifle falling off a bench and knocking the zero way out (the scope itself was evidently fine).

After the Aero fiasco, I picked up a GG&G (non-QD) mount which was two ounces heavier but far more robust. That mount worked fine for me.

Currently I'm using a Daniel's Defense mount, which I very much like. It's available in 30mm and 1-inch, weighs less than six ounces yet appears adequately robust, and is very streamlined/snag-free. Unlike the GG&G, the DD can be mounted using the forward-most rail slot on the receiver and not bridge to the handguard;

Name:  scope-1.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  scope-2.jpg
Views: 3372
Size:  82.3 KB

I'm also a believer in non-QD mounts, which are generally lighter and more streamlined/snag-free than the QD versions (the DD mount really excels in that regard). Unless I had multiple optic packages I'd be regularly swapping, I personally see no benefit to QD mounts. If BUIS are called for, I really like the Magpul MBUS Pro Offset sights.

If $$ was no object, I'd roll with the Geissele.
    I’m surprised that I didn’t know they had scope mounts now. That looks like a solid alternative to ADM mounts that should be good quality but not G expensive. I want it for my spare P4Xi now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an Aero mount. Lost zero during/prior to a match and I said never again.

Very happy with my Nightforce Unimount. It's been through many Run N Gun events with no issues. At this point I've run a little over 100 miles with it on my back, bouncing around and hitting mags, water bottles, obstacles, etc.

I have no interest in QD. True story: I shimmed pulled the barrel from my AR to true the receiver and shim/bed the barrel. Also tweaked the gas tube and gas block to "float" it in the upper. Bolted everything back together (scoped included) to the same specs as before. My optic was off by 0.3 mils of elevation and .1 windage at 100 yards.

I've had just the optic off a few times and haven't ever had to re zero it. I always use a torque wrench when installing

Site Supporter
    Maybe. Used a torque wrench with a lowest setting of 25 inch-pounds, so I adjusted past (and below) that setting. The actual torque applied might have been 20 to 25 inch-pounds, but that was obviously too much. Not an indictment of other Aero products, but their current optic mounts are something I now avoid. Their less-than-sympathetic CS didn't instill confidence either.

FWIW, every other ring set I've ever used specifies 30 inch-pounds, and that's probably the maximum to avoid crushing the scope tube. Using the same torque wrench, I've tightened Seekins rings and the DD mount rings to their specified 30 inch-pounds with no issues.
    I likely would not want to deploy overseas with the Aero mount but for light / recreational use. It’s fine.

Each manufacturer of optics and mounts has their own recommendation for torque values. Different designs and materials

30 is cerntainly not a “standard” value. Vortex normally recommends 18 inch-pounds. Larue recommends 22 for their scope mounts. When in doubt, I go with the lower value. It is surprisingly easy to crush scope bodies which will damage internals if the rings are in the right spot.

Aero previously had instructions on their website recommending blue Loctite and 15 inch pounds of torque for their mounts. They say the max is 25 inch pounds but it is not recommended.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-03-2018 at 07:22 PM.

The Vortex or Seekins precision cantelever mounts are a good option. I had a 5-25 Nightforce ATACR mounted in one. No complaints.

For QD, Bobro has been good to go for me. Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18 was mounted in one. Rifle fell off a table right onto the elevation knob as I was finishing up cleaning the gun. The zero did show a shift the next time I shot the gun (about 1.5-2 inches), but given the serious fall and the cleaning, the shift was not nearly as dramatic as I’d thought it would be and I’m not sure I could 100% attribute the shift to the mount. As an aside, the Bushnell continues to work fine as well.

For an affordable option I really like my Midwest QD mount. The QD levers are actually pretty low profile so they aren't in the way.

If money wasn't a factor I would probably have bought a Geissele supper precision mount. Another expensive mount that seems to have some impressive engineering behind it is the Scalar Works LEAP Scope Mount. I have heard good things about it including a favorable review from Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics.

https://scalarworks.com/shop/optic-m...p-scope-mount/

Hope that helps.

Site Supporter
    The Geissele Super Precision is superb quality and bombproof. Love mine.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List