Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who’s using night vision here?

Can’t edit my last post but just got clear of a situation where a good high powered IR flashlight on my helmet would have been a huuuuge benefit while covering Agents chasing a large Dope load going back S with about 20 guys 1-200 yards away on the opposite side of a canyon...the Switch is great for 20 yards or so but absolutely useless at distance. Luckily there was enough ambient light to make out most of what I needed to see but...looks like I need to throw some more $ at my rig.

Here is my refurbished PVS-30 behind a BEAST on my AXMC:
    Name:  PVS-30 1.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  37.2 KB

Resolution at 5-15X is amazing under starlit night out to at least 500m which is the limit of sight in my neighborhood due to dense forest. Anything higher than 15X and you get progressive “snowstorm” artifact unless you add some moonlight, artificial light, or a very bright IR illumination (think DBAL-D2 LED IR). Above 20X and the artifact will probably affect you shots.

Also, this is a very heavy rig. It’s not something that I want to go stalking while it’s attached. A much more reasonable setup is on my GAP HRT as it takes advantage of the short 12/3 o’clock rail without unnecessary weight from unused rail space.

Name:  PVS-30 4.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  42.9 KB
    Last edited by Sensei; 12-12-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Here is my TNVC PVS-14 mounted to my Ops-Core FAST.

Name:  PVS-14 3.jpg
Views: 683
Size:  45.0 KB

The extra appendage is the quick detachment mount for a rail mount so that it can be placed behind a red dot. I rarely put it behind an optic as doing so dramatically reduces you safe field of view (ie you have to muzzle your loved ones to see them). Instead, I mainly used an IR laser zeroed to 10 yards when clearing my house. I keep that helmet next to my armor and suppressed carbine.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter

Sionyx Aurora

Gentlemen - I've been toying with the idea of an inexpensive night vision device for wildlife viewing, surveillance of my property, and maybe some casual predator hunting. I'm intrigued by the Sionyx Aurora: https://www.sionyx.com/. Does anyone here have experience with the Aurora? From the Big Empty, ELN.

Night vision on a budget... good joke LL! Tagged for interest.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

DBAL-I2 opinions? I’ve been offered one for $600.

https://www.amazon.com/Steiner-eOpti...am+green+laser
    #RESIST

I'd save your pennies for one of the slaved, dual beam models. They offer a ton more general utility at no real cost. Other than cost.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I'd save your pennies for one of the slaved, dual beam models. They offer a ton more general utility at no real cost. Other than cost.
    Well this one isn’t slaved, but my guy selling it (personal friend) says it’s dual IR and visible laser, plus IR illuminator.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Well this one isn’t slaved, but my guy selling it (personal friend) says it’s dual IR and visible laser, plus IR illuminator.
    The one you linked is IR only.

Even if you don’t intend to use it for anything else a slaved vis laser is worth it to be able to zero in daylight.
    Last edited by HCM; 12-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Double tap
    Last edited by HCM; 12-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.

User Tag List