Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Who’s using night vision here?

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    "First, get a PVS-14"

Thanks for the experienced summary.

I'd be grateful for any insight you have on which PVS-14. TNVC, for example, has 4 of them:

1) TNV/PVS-14 HARRIS GEN3 PINNACLE $3258 (TNVC assembles Harris parts)
    2) TNV/PVS-14 L3 GEN3 OMNI VIII $3195 (TNVC assembled L3 parts)
    3) TNV/PVS-14 L3 GEN3 OMNI VIII WHITE PHOSPHOR (THIN-FILMED) $3935 (TNVC assembled, L3 parts, thin film)
    4) TNV/PVS-14 L3 GEN3 UN-FILMED WHITE PHOSPHOR $4020 (TNVC assembled, L3 parts, unfilmed)

The description for #1 says "Harris PINNACLE tubes are feature a thinner thin (??film?? - ed)
    that allows them to capture and process more light, providing the user with a brighter image.

So #3 and 4 are white phospor instead of green (I don't know how much that improves things?).
    #1, #3, and #4 might work better in very low light levels, at the expense of being less rugged (particularly #4, see below)??

I'd probably mostly use it head mounted, just for fun, but would like the option to use it on a 5.56 rifle. Any sense on
    how much ruggedness you lose for the higher sensitivities, and how much sensitivity you get for the extra $$?

(I'm not married to TNVC or these brands; I just looked there because my sense is they are a reputable company,
    other suggestions welcomed)

FWIW: What the descriptions say about weapons mounting:
    #1 "These tubes are weapons rated for 5.56x45mm NATO."
    #2 "These tubes are weapons rated for 5.56x45mm NATO."
    #3 PVS-14’s can be mounted on helmets for hands-free use, behind weapon optics, or simply as a handheld device."
    #4 "However, the PVS-14 housing is not. PVS-14’s and other NVG’s are designed to be worn on
    the head 99% of the time. Their lightweight polymer housings are not designed to stand up to heavy
    caliber weapon shock."
    My understanding is that it’s the housing, not tubes, that are recoil sensitive. So, all of those options should perform the same in terms of durability. However, I’d not put it on anything heavier than 5.56 or 300BLK, and you may want to call TNVC about option 4 behind 5.56. If we are talking about value, I’d go with either 1 or 2 and not look back. That’s what I did. The unfilmed, white phosphor units are more designer than value.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I've used a handful of different NVGs in the Army. Not anything super cool mostly PVS14 and 7Bs, using Paq4C as an IR laser. If I was looking at stuff like that now, a slave laser would be a must. Zeroing can be a bitch with a monocular in the dark.

My understanding (From P&S, Ballistic Radio, General reading, a Bill Blowers video somewhere... no personal use) is that the MAWL rules everything else because of its far superior illuminator. That would have been handy at least once when I was using NVG gizmos. I think the MAWL is pricey though.

I dont have a real need for NVGs at the moment, and cant afford them for fun. I think they're alot of fun though.

-Cory

Just shot a decent group with reloaded 147gr subs at seven yards in my backyard (safe and legal) in the dark

Polymer 80 G19 with RMR1. Works perfectly with night vision.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    #RESIST

PVS-14 guys seeing my humble 7bs be like:

#RESIST

Name:  119621760_10100315960880261_899079474970802182_o.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  88.9 KB
    Name:  received_1292587267752581.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  19.0 KB
    I chose this year to get into the NV game, as well.

L3 Warrior Systems PVS14 (22um, White Phos filmless, 2376fom minimum)
    Team Wendy Exfil bump
    Norotos INVG Hyper and DDA
    EOG counterweight
    Peltor Tac6S on Unity Tactical Mark

I'm still thinking about a helmet light, but the tube performs well even on moonless nights under canopy, so it hasnt been a priority. I plan to functionally connect NOD to ballistic performance via a MAWL C1.

Run a PVS-14 (good but FOM not as good as Sensei's FOM) here for hog hunting and for a budget IR laser, Lasermax UNI-IR has held up surprisingly well. Holds zero and good enough output for at least 300 yds.

TNVC has paired with Steiner for a new TOR IR that looks to be excellent for around $250 and what I would go with. Bonus on both of these is you can mount on your Glock as well.

Depending on the specs of the tube in your PVS-7b you may not need that much additional IR light for illumination. Have a SF952V on my setup but honestly often do not use it hunting even under fairly low lum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    My understanding is that it’s the housing, not tubes, that are recoil sensitive. So, all of those options should perform the same in terms of durability. However, I’d not put it on anything heavier than 5.56 or 300BLK, and you may want to call TNVC about option 4 behind 5.56. If we are talking about value, I’d go with either 1 or 2 and not look back. That’s what I did. The unfilmed, white phosphor units are more designer than value.
    The tubes can and do get recoil damage. I would never weapon mount a PVS14 that I was responsible for, or paid for.
    Unfilmed tubes absolutely are better than thin filmed in low light. I'd say about 20% or so cleaner/more light/better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Here is my refurbished PVS-30 behind a BEAST on my AXMC:
    Attachment 33174

Resolution at 5-15X is amazing under starlit night out to at least 500m which is the limit of sight in my neighborhood due to dense forest. Anything higher than 15X and you get progressive “snowstorm” artifact unless you add some moonlight, artificial light, or a very bright IR illumination (think DBAL-D2 LED IR). Above 20X and the artifact will probably affect you shots.

Also, this is a very heavy rig. It’s not something that I want to go stalking while it’s attached. A much more reasonable setup is on my GAP HRT as it takes advantage of the short 12/3 o’clock rail without unnecessary weight from unused rail space.

Attachment 33175
    Nice setup!

(Flexing on the Poors)
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Figured I would resurrect This Thread instead of starting a new one. But if the mods feel different happy to switch.

Looking at getting into this purely from a predator hunting perspective. Not really interested in clearing a house or such.

I've got some coyotes on my land I'd like to get rid of. May be able to find them during the day but looks like most likely will be nocturnal.

I've been watching several YouTube videos on the differences between night vision and thermal. Looks like night-vision is certainly less expensive but does require additional equipment and is not as great at picking some things up. However thermal also has its downsides.

Curious as to what the current thinking on this is from the members of this forum.

User Tag List