Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who’s using night vision here?

Who’s using night vision here?

I fell into some blem PVS-7Bs, autogated, Gen3, and am looking at IR handheld and WMLs.
    #RESIST

Who’s using night vision here?

An IR laser as well as an illuminator is very helpful for a long gun.

Have a look at:
    https://tnvc.com

and figure out what you can afford. This gets expensive quickly. I have a DBAL D2 IR/visible unit with built in IR illumination. It’s very nice.

Check out the Streamlight TLR-2 IR. It looks like a cost-effective solution.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-02-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    An IR laser as well as an illuminator is very helpful for a long gun.

Have a look at:
    https://tnvc.com

and figure out what you can afford. This gets expensive quickly. I have a DBAL D2 IR/visible unit with built in IR illumination. It’s very nice.

Check out the Streamlight TLR-2 IR. It looks like a cost-effective solution.
    I was looking at the TLR-VIR, much cheaper. TNVC’s pricing is way too high for me, I bought my https://www.amazon.com/CRYE-PRECISIO...=crye+nightcap off of amazon and saved a bit over TNVC. I know that they’re a great company and all, but I’m doing this on a budget.
    #RESIST

The VIR is $100 cheaper, but I'm worried that the IR laser is anemic. The $370 TLR-2 IR may be a better solution.

That Crye headmount looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I was looking at the TLR-VIR, much cheaper. TNVC’s pricing is way too high for me, I bought my https://www.amazon.com/CRYE-PRECISIO...=crye+nightcap off of amazon and saved a bit over TNVC. I know that they’re a great company and all, but I’m doing this on a budget.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 12-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.

I’m just so new to this shit. I see that some guys have a handheld clicky IR flashlight on their helmets? Plus, I see that folks like the Holosun lasers for their price point over the DBALs and whatnot?
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 12-02-2018 at 04:06 PM.
    #RESIST

I haven't played with the Holosun units, but they do look good for the price.
    https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...05-217845.aspx

An IR floodlight is helpful for seeing what's around you. As I'm sure you've discovered, it's a challenge to walk and run in a complex environment with NODS. More IR illumination is helpful for that. But an IR flashlight won't replace a dedicated IR spotlight (like on the DBAL D2). I've hit steel at night at 300-400 yds using the DBAL before other competitors even found the targets.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I’m just so new to this shit. I see that some guys have a handheld clicky IR flashlight on their helmets? Plus, I see that folks like the Holosun lasers for their price point over the DBALs and whatnot?

I went down this treacherous (to the wallet) path a few years ago.

Weapon lights:
    if you already have a Surefire body, TNVC sold Torchpro head-only units that fit on the Surefires. I didn't see the head-only option just now, might be worth it to call them. It's a great IR light, lots of throw.

I bought a Nitecore Chameleon CI6 for a handheld IR light, It's got a bright white light, some goofy colored LEDs and a very bright IR LED. I rigged up some velcro on my Nightcap and the Nitecore and can stick it on the side of the Nightcap like a helmet mount. It's way too bright for up close work, ie. reading but good for moving around in the field. I have not tried it as a weapon light but it might do in pinch. It's not built to Surefire standards.

Lasers:
    The ultimate in bargain lasers was the Crimson Trace CMR-102 IR but they aren't making them any more. They are light and small but take N batteries. (yuck) I also have a CQBL-1 which is great for sighting in with the slaved visible laser and being fairly light.

Ultimately, after I got a scope on my main AR, it all ended up weighing too much and I ended up putting all the IR stuff on separate upper.

My advice would be to absolutely haunt the Arfcom Night Vision forum and the Arfcom NV Equipment Exchange. Its worth putting up with some of the BS to get the good info from the long timer posters there.

The Flashlight Equipment Exchange there is worth checking often as some IR lights and lasers show up there.

Gringop

PS. Cheap pouches filled with lead and/or batteries velcroed on the back of the Nightcap sure make things balance better and are less fatiguing.
    Last edited by gringop; 12-02-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I use an IR Princeton Tec MPLS Switch on my helmet for when I’m inside structures with no ambient light, they are inexpensive throw a decent amount of light and it’s pointed where I’m looking at all times (rather than having an IR light weapon mounted). I’ve never really needed IR light outdoors under NODS but I suppose it’s certainly useful if there isn’t much ambient light or you’re in thick brush (the TNVC Torch seems to be the best of breed if you need to throw a lot of IR light). I have both a Dbal I2 and a CQBL-1, both are good units and can be found priced reasonably on the secondary market.

I’m running a AN/PVS-14 on my helmet 75% of the time or behind a T2 using a TNVC quick detachment mount. Most of my guns have either a DBAL-A3, D2, or ATPIAL-C (my favorite but expensive).

I also just ordered one of the Knights Armament refurbished AN/PVS-30s from Eurooptic. They are supposedly in very good to excellent condition, supported by a 1-year warranty, and less than 1/3 the cost for a new unit.

I’ll try to post pictures later this week.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

DSG arms usually has good sales on DBALs with IR illumination. They had D2 for around $900 and change on Black Friday. If spending that much money, I would stick with proven DBALs vs Holosuns.
    If you are looking for something to "play around with" having a combined IR/White light flashlight is OK, but not something I would want for serious use, as one may need to go from IR to VIS and vice versa very fast.
    Having an IR light on a helmet allows you to provide extra IR illumination without having to muzzle the area with your rifle (assuming you have an IR illuminator on it). Think of IR illuminator like a flashlight. Same reason people have headlamps and weapon mounted lights. IR requires some ambient light and if there is none, IR illuminators work in a manner similar to visible spectrum flash lights.
    When it comes to aiming lasers, you can get one that has Visible and IR and IR only. The Visible/IR also come in co-aligned (DBAL-A3 and separate DBAL-i2) versions. The coaligned makes zeroing much simpler since you can use the visible laser for zero.
    If you don't care for visible spectrum laser, you can get OTAL-C IR. The downside to this is you will need to wear your IR goggles to zero it.

User Tag List