Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No true standard for co-witness optic heights?

No true standard for co-witness optic heights?

Over the last couple years I’ve started using taller optic mounts even with fold down BUIS because they give me more FOV over a 12 o’clock mounted light and I can keep my head more upright.

I’m starting to realize however that what I thought was an industry standard for “absolute” co-witness and “lower 1/3” co-witness is really whatever each manufacturer feels like it should be. I ordered a Geissele RDS Mount and got the lower 1/3 version. It arrived and looked lower than I expect. I double checked part numbers and photos on their site. It is their “lower 1/3” and is taller than their absolute.

The thing is, it’s the same height as ADM’s “absolute” and the Aimpoint LRP with 39mm spacer (which is also listed as “absolute”). It’s a smidgen shorter than the DD mount with the “lower 1/3” spacer. Did everyone but me already know this? It wouldn’t be the first time I’m late to the party but damn what a disappointment.

https://geissele.com/super-precision-t1-series.html

Agreed, not seeing a difference between absolute and 1/3 on their site - both appear to be 1.41" above the rail. They do list a 1.93" version and show an obviously taller mount with a different PN. It's as if they're listing three different heights but only actually offer two - I'd get in touch with them for clarification and perhaps an exchange for what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    https://geissele.com/super-precision-t1-series.html

Agreed, not seeing a difference between absolute and 1/3 on their site - both appear to be 1.41" above the rail. They do list a 1.93" version and show an obviously taller mount with a different PN. It's as if they're listing three different heights but only actually offer two - I'd get in touch with them for clarification and perhaps an exchange for what you're looking for.
    As I recall, Geissele's lower 1/3 height is 1.54" for the T1, MRO & PRO mounts. FWIW, the same as their TA31 mount.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Is there a standard for optics?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I don't know that it can be called a standard, but Larue's SPR mounts place the optic centerline 1.5" above the rail. They make a tall version for clearing PEQ units, etc... that are 1.93.

In contrast, their dimension for the Aimpoint mounts (with lower 1/3rd witness) is 1.7". If that helps any.

this link has a good pic that compares the different heights:

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/02...ion-t1-mounts/

Looks like the lower 1/3 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Aren’t we taking about the same thing? Unless an optic has a built in mount, it’s the height of the mount that dictates what our view is through the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Looks like the lower 1/3 to me.
    It’s definitely the mount Geissele calls Lower 1/3. But as you can see in my pics it’s the same height as what Aimpoint and ADM consider Absolute. Had I know this I’d have ordered the ADM Lower 1/3.

If only @rob_s had a chart for mounts.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    That's the beauty of buying from a company like Scalar Works. They make the sights and they make the mounts so you know they will work together.

To be fair I did use a set of Daniel Defense fixed iron sights with a couple of different Aimpoints mounted to Scalar Lower 1/3 mounts and never had an issue. I know the Scalar Peak sights are based off the Daniel Defense. The Peaks are awesome but the way.

I would really like to see what a set of iron sights, fixed or otherwise, designed by Geissele would look like.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Aren’t we taking about the same thing? Unless an optic has a built in mount, it’s the height of the mount that dictates what our view is through the glass.
    So every optic has the lens and/or dot at the same height from it's mounting point?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List