Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No true standard for co-witness optic heights?

Bobro is another one that tends to be lower than normal. Their lower 1/3rd is about 1.5" height, while their "high" mount is ~1.7". No idea what their so-called absolute is.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    So every optic has the lens and/or dot at the same height from it's mounting point?
    No but that is the point of having mounts that provide a co-witness in either absolute or Lower 1/3 right? Whether an Aimpoint Micro, RMR, MRO, etc., the mount puts the center of the optic x.x” above the top of the rail. But that’s really the point of my first post. I always thought those heights were standardized. I’m seeing now it’s totally random depending on what the manufacturer chooses.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    No but that is the point of having mounts that provide a co-witness in either absolute or Lower 1/3 right? Whether an Aimpoint Micro, RMR, MRO, etc., the mount puts the center of the optic x.x” above the top of the rail. But that’s really the point of my first post. I always thought those heights were standardized. I’m seeing now it’s totally random depending on what the manufacturer chooses.
    I'm seriously asking here because I have not used much in the way of variety when it comes to optics and with the exception of my issued gun I've always used the OEM mount.

With my issued M-16, I have a gooseneck mount and an Aimpoint. The lower 1/3 co-witness is really more like lower 1/8th co-witness. Even using the same mount, would different optics not sit higher or lower based on how much space the optic itself has, independent of the mount, from the mounting point to the center of the lens? Or are mounts typically sold for a given type of optic?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I'm seriously asking here because I have not used much in the way of variety when it comes to optics and with the exception of my issued gun I've always used the OEM mount.

With my issued M-16, I have a gooseneck mount and an Aimpoint. The lower 1/3 co-witness is really more like lower 1/8th co-witness. Even using the same mount, would different optics not sit higher or lower based on how much space the optic itself has, independent of the mount, from the mounting point to the center of the lens? Or are mounts typically sold for a given type of optic?
    I may not be he one to ask. Up until yesterday I thought we had two repeatable options regardless of optic. Most companies offer mounts that bring the optic to the same height for the shooter no matter which optic. As an example all these mounts from Geissele will put the dot in the same place above the rail.

https://geissele.com/optics/red-dot-mounts.html

My disappointment is that what Geissele calls Absolute height will not be the same as what Bobro, LaRue, ADM, Scalarworks, etc.

It's a pretty well-agreed upon definition for the most part, but because it's not written in stone anywhere, manufacturers have leeway as to the exact height, and some will go their own way. FWIW, the Micros with an LRP mount with a 39mm spacer is ~1.535" above rail, which is generally viewed as being an absolute co-witness.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 12-02-2018 at 07:22 PM.

User Tag List