Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts, comments or suggestions on rechargeable batteries?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Another Eneloop user here...I think that's the right path. Also, the AA Eneloops can also be used in C and D cell adapters. Note that there are a number of generations of batteries and chargers. There is a reviewer on Amazon who has done a lot of testing on them across multiple generations..."NLee the Engineer", probably the top reviewer on the links both Rich and Blues posted. Worth taking a look at those before taking the plunge, especially on the chargers. I think he is a fan of the newer BQ-CC55 quick charger over the earlier BQ-CC17, which itself was an improvement over earlier models. I'm looking at the CC55 to replace my older Sony branded charger.
    Thanks ordered a charger and battery combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks.

I was just thinking, how many "normal" AA and AAA I have floating around our small condo...

Remote controls...AAAx2, AAx2 (many, I dunno, six or seven)

Electric Door Lock...AAx4 (1)

Dog Walking Headlights AAAx3 (2)

...not to mention hobby related:

Commander Shot Timer AAAx4 (1)

Ear Defenders AAAx2 (2)

Flashlights AA, AAA (exact number of flashlights I have is classified )

Hmmm...
    Rich, I've accumulated somewhere between 20 and thirty (each) of the AA and AAAs over the years. (And three of their standard chargers from combination pack deals I've picked up over the years on amazon.)

I've found the standard Panasonic charger to be more than adequate despite having "better" chargers for my lithium batteries which can also be deployed if need be.

Mileage and needs will vary.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Thanks.

I was just thinking, how many "normal" AA and AAA I have floating around our small condo...

Remote controls...AAAx2, AAx2 (many, I dunno, six or seven)

Electric Door Lock...AAx4 (1)

Dog Walking Headlights AAAx3 (2)

...not to mention hobby related:

Commander Shot Timer AAAx4 (1)

Ear Defenders AAAx2 (2)

Flashlights AA, AAA (exact number of flashlights I have is classified )

Hmmm...

At least you know how many flashlights you have; I have no idea how many I own. I have four on me as I sit here typing, wait, five including my TLR-6.

Time to add Eneloop's to my Amazon wish list.
    --Jason--

I've been burned so many times with rechargeable batteries, I'm abused puppy scared to try them again, but a couple of you are making me think of going for some eneloops.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

One potential problem with NiMH rechargeables is that fully charged they are 1.2V, whereas alkalines are 1.5V. Some devices may interpret that as a “low battery”.

Alkalines typically drop voltage steadily as they discharge. NiMH batteries will hold a fairly constant voltage and then suddenly drop off when “empty”, so you may not get much warning that the battery is getting low.

Those are the only issues I’ve encountered using good rechargeables.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I've been burned so many times with rechargeable batteries, I'm abused puppy scared to try them again, but a couple of you are making me think of going for some eneloops.
    I think you can buy with confidence, huf. I've been using these for years without a single issue. They are far superior to the old NiMH of past years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    At least you know how many flashlights you have; I have no idea how many I own. I have four on me as I sit here typing, wait, five including my TLR-6.

Time to add Eneloop's to my Amazon wish list.
    Bearing in mind I got rid of and gave away a bunch of stuff, going from a 4/3 Pool/3 Car to a small apartment. At the time I met my (now) wife I counted at least...36...I have pared it down recently though...

Every time I order a new flashlight now, I get "that look".

I have a problem

Bearing in mind I got rid of and gave away a bunch of stuff, going from a 4/3 Pool/3 Car to a small apartment. At the time I met my (now) wife I counted at least...36...I have pared it down recently though...

Every time I order a new flashlight now, I get "that look".

I have a problem
    You're probably just gun shy from the first marriage. More than likely it's this look.

Steven Harris (Sumdude that spends a lot of time and money studying these kinds of things) recommends Enloops and Powerex MH-C800S 8-Cell Smart Charger.

I bought it on his recommendation and am happy with it. Enloops are apparently better than the Powerex batteries do I use them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Harris from battery1234.com
    This is by FAR my favorite charger, and its a premium one and it does not GOOF UP. It charges each battery individually, so you can put in 1 battery, 2, 3, 5, 7 or 8 at once. When you put it in, it starts to charge it. It takes about 1 hours to charge one battery, but you can charge 8 at a time. 8 in 2 hours is about as good as 4 in 1 hour for me. Also, there is an LCD display for each battery, so you know when each one is charged. There IS a more expensive version of this one that does charge all 8 in 1 hour BUT THIS one here is my favorite. The 1 hour charger has a huge power supply that comes with it. This one has a nice small 'wall wart' power supply.
    It also has a mode to recondition batteries.

I use the “Harris Approved” Tenergy 9 volt batteries for my shot timer.

ETA: I’m sure the MH-C808s would be a solid choice too.
    Last edited by David S.; 12-02-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    David S.

Another Enelooper

Eneloops, specifically the white-colored low-self-discharge version, that keeps a charge for years, unless you know you will need the high-self-discharge type. The high-self-discharge Eneloops will drain, while just sitting there, though they are better for some applications, when they can be charged just before anticipated heavy use, such as flash units used by wedding/event photographers. (I photographed crime scenes, at night, and never had a problem with the low-self-discharge white Eneloops, to power Canon 580EX, 580EX II, and 600EX-RT Speedlite flashes.)

Also important: a good charger, that charges each cell independently. Some cheap chargers will stop charging all the cells when the first one reaches full charge. I use Powerex, like David S specified, above.

I have ordered my Eneloops through Amazon, from Norman Camera; quick packing/shipping. (I no longer trust Amazon, itself, not to ship counterfeit stuff, and yes, there is such a thing as counterfeit rechargeable batteries.)
    Last edited by Rex G; 12-02-2018 at 03:43 PM.

User Tag List