Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty old Cobra

Rusty old Cobra

Wanted to try and fix up an old Colt and found this Cobra. It had significant rust damage on the barrel shroud and pitting everywhere else. The cylinder end shake was out of spec and the bolt dropped early. I'm not quite done, need to refinish the crane and cylinder, but I'm really happy with how it's coming along.
    Name:  20181201_092413.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  79.8 KB
    Name:  20181201_092020.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  50.6 KB
    Last edited by timotab; 12-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Wow, awesome work!

How made the stocks, they look very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Wow, awesome work!

How made the stocks, they look very nice.
    Thanks! The stocks are Houge. I'd prefer checkered without finger grooves but am impressed with these and the price was right.

Nice job so far.

Awesome work rescuing that revolver. I really like projects like this one where function is more important than factory finish.

Rescue guns make great inexpensive winter projects. At least, that is what I tell my wife.

Site Supporter
    Did you get the end shake fixed and the bolt timed correctly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Very nice work! Before reading the whole thread I was thinking that this gun was crying for a day at the NP3 spa.

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    Did you get the end shake fixed and the bolt timed correctly?

I did but it took some doing. I purchased an old Police Positive cylinder and crane and used them and the original ratchet. The PP crane has a shoulder so you can shim between it and the cylinder, newer D frames require you to either stretch the cylinder collar or machine the old one off and install a bushing. The PP ratchet was short so headspace was off, I was able to fit the Cobra ratchet to the PP cylinder. The bolt had some small burs that I cleaned up and I put a little more tension on it towards the rebound lever. It now drops in the middle of the notch leade.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by timotab View Post
    I did but it took some doing. I purchased an old Police Positive cylinder and crane and used them and the original ratchet. The PP crane has a shoulder so you can shim between it and the cylinder, newer D frames require you to either stretch the cylinder collar or machine the old one off and install a bushing. The PP ratchet was short so headspace was off, I was able to fit the Cobra ratchet to the PP cylinder. The bolt had some small burs that I cleaned up and I put a little more tension on it towards the rebound lever. It now drops in the middle of the notch leade.
    I almost did the same to a detective special with end shake but decided against it.

Better the bolt drop early than late. I had a different ds that the bolt dropped late. Throw by, not cool. The bolt screw threads was stripped in the frame. That took some fussing with to fix.

What is the refinishing?

Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    I
    What is the refinishing?
    Norrells Molyresin.

User Tag List