Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baltimore County Police Ditch FNS-40LS

Site Supporter

Baltimore County Police Ditch FNS-40LS

Talk around the water cooler has it that the Baltimore County Police Department is ditching the FNS-40 long slide for the Gen 5 Glock 17. Anyone with details? My former agency's firearms training coordinator loves all things FN despite various problems with the FNS-9. Thanks and be safe.

Several NDs/ADs, slides jumping off frame rails, and trigger roll pins walking out. Supposedly switching to some version of G17.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    My former agency's firearms training coordinator loves all things FN despite various problems with the FNS-9.
    Well, he's obviously a man of discerning tastes and sterling character regardless of FN's misadventures over the last 20 years.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    I don't know if I'd go THAT far, FNFAN. The FNS-9's proved problematic for us, especially with the tendency to double feed with lights attached and the ambidextrous magazine releases that often ejected at the touch of a wall or center console. To be fair, FN America did a good job working with us, replacing barrels and magazines. I had thought the weapons were running smoothly, but I understand a couple broke since my disappearance.

While I've never seen one, I am told the FN AR-15's that the coordinator wants to purchase to replace agency Colts and personally owned rifles are a good choice though I wonder if models sold to law enforcement agencies will be of the same quality as military rifles. I am concerned about my former colleagues being the beta test for FB's law enforcement division (again). I have mixed feelings about the 10.5 inch barrels and concerns about InForce lights and one point slings, but I'm an over the hill retiree.

Our recently issued FN M4A1s proved to be VERY problematic with frangible ammo - to the point of two out of four being completely unusable with issued AA40. They all worked fine with duty ammo, though - so as long as you don't plan on running a lot of frang through them, they should be OK.

Arizona Department of Public Safety, the only other major agency that I'm aware of issuing FNs (striker-fired .40s, with I believe a 4" barrel, and unknown WMLs in Safariland ALS-only holsters) is currently transitioning over to Glock 9mms, with the first ones to firearms training officers already out in the wild. They switched from P226/P229 .40s about 2-3 years ago. Within the past 6 months or so department armorers traveled around the state and replaced some parts (I heard firing pins from a line officer), likely in response to the AD reports. The reason given for the transition to Glock, again from line officers, is that FN is either discontinuing the model, or isn't able to produce enough pistols to continue fulfilling the contract.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Several NDs/ADs, slides jumping off frame rails, and trigger roll pins walking out. Supposedly switching to some version of G17.
    I’ve heard one of those ADs occurred when a holstered duty pistol was bumped into a steel door frame as an officer was trying to get through a door carrying a box in both hands. Possibly caught on security video ?

I was a little skeptical at first, but given I ve heard this from more than one source, and given the poor results of the “mallet tests” conducted by PF members on other striker fired guns like the VP9, PPQ, 1st gen P320 etc .....

Site Supporter
    HCM, that unintentional discharge hit the mainstream media. I believe it was determined to be a drawstring issue. I would be interested to hear about other unintentional discharges.

The question does arise why an agency would select the FNS when the FN509 is on the market, hoopefully with FNS kinks worked out.

Summit Gun Broker has the old ones, looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Arizona Department of Public Safety, the only other major agency that I'm aware of issuing FNs (striker-fired .40s, with I believe a 4" barrel, and unknown WMLs in Safariland ALS-only holsters) is currently transitioning over to Glock 9mms, with the first ones to firearms training officers already out in the wild. They switched from P226/P229 .40s about 2-3 years ago. Within the past 6 months or so department armorers traveled around the state and replaced some parts (I heard firing pins from a line officer), likely in response to the AD reports. The reason given for the transition to Glock, again from line officers, is that FN is either discontinuing the model, or isn't able to produce enough pistols to continue fulfilling the contract.
    I heard this from a friend of mine who is on DPS. They were having too many problems and went with the Glock 17

User Tag List