Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MGW Sight Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    If that is what is required, can you get a new sight in without ruining it, particularly if it has tritium?
    Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    One could stone a replacement sight to fit good and snug without requiring industrial machinery to install it. With the replacements, I take my time and fit them to the dovetails. I haven’t attempted a XD but have drifted and corrected a front sight. Hammer and punch.
    Yes, you have the opportunity to work on the sight on the way in. I always used to just relieve the bottom to put it farther down in the dovetail, but I finally bought the 60 and 65 degree files from Brownells, though not sure they are really required.

I watched some YouTube stuff and they really do not need to be all that darn tight, somebody, I think Ted Yost even advocates using pieces of (really) hard wood to do the drifting. I have just used brass or aluminum, and did grind a few of the brass drift punches to be flat on a side to fit the base of the sights. A layer of masking tape helps too.

From another forum....

XD's present some difficulty to remove, to the point that I warn my customer that the stock sights might be damaged upon removal. That's because I use a STEEL punch to remove 'em. A short, brass rod and a large hammer wouldn't even budge the first couple of XDs I tried. Tried an MGW pusher once and I thought the pusher was going to break. Installation is a breeze of course.

Not my post either. Typical XD removal horror story.

User Tag List