Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Validity of Marksmanship training for Rifle at 25 yards

I think it would help if restricted to .22.
    #RESIST

I wouldn’t waste real rifle ammo but it would be great for a .22.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    My eyes are jacked. I'm supposedly 20/20 with contacts but just can't seem to focus on anything for an extended period at 100 yds. If I can get all my rounds in a thumbnail at 25 yds I'm gtg at 100.

Range is a consideration. My HD AR has an MRO, I'm not likely to take shots beyond my property (2 acres). Range toy has a 1-6. That's also zeroed at 25 and I'v shot it out to about 250. In BUFU Illinois that's about the longest I'll ever shoot, range or otherwise.

I can't say shooting tiny targets up close made me any better (I suck with rifles), but math doesn't lie so it's an effective way to get your weapon zeroed.

Think of .22 at 25 yards as analogous to pistol dry fire.

Site Supporter
    Basic trainees for the USAF so most of their rifle training at 25 yards on a target with mutiple scaled silhouettes.

@jetfire could provide more info.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Basic trainees for the USAF so most of their rifle training at 25 yards on a target with mutiple scaled silhouettes.

@jetfire could provide more info.
    Not just basic trainees, pretty much everyone does their rifle qualification at 25 yards using scaled targets. Very few Air Force installations have full distance KD ranges, and most were structured around the idea that the airfield is the most important part of the installation. That meant range design was done to give the range the smallest footprint possible, which for the most part means a 25 yard/meter fully contained range.

There are some carve outs in AFI for Designated Marksmen in Security Forces, and of course our units assigned to SOCOM get full distance rifle training, but the vast majority of Air Force rifle marksmanship occurs on scaled targets.

I can’t see any downside to practicing marksmanship training at any distance, scaled targets or not.

Hell, dot torture is a marksmanship test and we don’t bat an eye at folks doing it at 3 yards vs those who shoot B8’s at 25 yards.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 12-03-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Not just basic trainees, pretty much everyone does their rifle qualification at 25 yards using scaled targets. Very few Air Force installations have full distance KD ranges, and most were structured around the idea that the airfield is the most important part of the installation. That meant range design was done to give the range the smallest footprint possible, which for the most part means a 25 yard/meter fully contained range.

There are some carve outs in AFI for Designated Marksmen in Security Forces, and of course our units assigned to SOCOM get full distance rifle training, but the vast majority of Air Force rifle marksmanship occurs on scaled targets.
    https://www.targets.net/html/Targets/M/M16A2.html

https://www.amazon.com/Defense-25-Me.../dp/B074RYPKHV

Do you know of another commercial sources for the scaled rifle targets ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.targets.net/html/Targets/M/M16A2.html

https://www.amazon.com/Defense-25-Me.../dp/B074RYPKHV

Do you know of another commercial sources for the scaled rifle targets ?
    The Appleseed targets in my post on page one are based on the military head & shoulders silhouette and are a little more challenging as far as size of target if that interests you. The Appleseed course of fire is printed on them as a bonus if a person wants to try that.

As far as .22 vs. centerfire it's exactly like handgun training. I wouldn't call centerfire at 25 yards "wasting" ammo.

.22 gives you target feedback without dealing with the noise, recoil and expense of centerfire.

Centerfire tests your position's stability and resistance to recoil as well as your ability to not develop bad responses to the recoil and noise. Plenty of folks do well at an Appleseed shooting a 10/22 but their shooting falls apart with the little bit of recoil an AR subjects their position to.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 12-03-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    For whatever this is worth, shooting a .22 rifle with a local rifle club as a teenager showed me that shooting official 50 yard bullseyes at 50 yards was equally difficult to shooting official 50 foot bullseyes at 50 feet. Both require the same skills applied the same way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

User Tag List