Thread: Week 297: Leatham Three Grasp Drill

Week 297: Leatham Three Grasp Drill

Week 297: Leatham Three Grasp Drill

Results may be posted until December 30th, 2018.

Designed by: Rob Leatham
    Range: 7 and 15 yards
    Target: USPSA Metric
    Start Position: Holstered
    Rounds Fired: 12

This is a short test of gunhandling and shooting freestyle, strong hand, and support hand only.

Part one at the 7 yard line: At the start signal, draw and shoot two shots freestyle, two shots strong hand only, transfer to support hand only, and shoot two shots support hand only. All shots to the lower A-zone. Record your time and hits.

Part two at the 15 yard line: Same drill (draw and shoot two each freestyle, SHO, and WHO, six shots total), but targeting the 6x6" head box (A/B zone.) Record your time and hits.

Alternatively, if your range won't allow drawing from a holster, then start with the gun laying on the bench, slide forward on an empty chamber, but loaded magazine in the gun. At the start signal, retrieve pistol, rack slide, and shoot as previously specified.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used (or bench start if you did that), and concealment (optional)
    7 yard line time and hits
    15 yard line time and hits
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Gun was an out of the box new G19X with factory tritium sights drawn from a Dale Fricke Gideon OWB (what a great holster btw).

After a dry run to be distinctly startled by how fast I could NOT do this . . . I said easy does it man, sink your shots.

7 yds 6.65 sec 5 A, 1 C

15 yds 17.79 sec 5 A/B in the head box, 1 C in the throat/clavicle area.

Those SHO/WHO heads at 15 . . . that's a test of controlling your press under time constraint. Very nice.

I really like this short test for not using up a lot of ammo and elegantly measuring so many attributes. I'm very impressed with it. It's a keeper I will shoot regularly to track skill.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

My wife decided she was interested in this drill. Yesterday, we ended up with a dead 9V and no spare for our timer, so she shot it today for score with her G34 34/DP Pro out of her CO rig.

String one at seven yards was 4.84 clean, and string two at fifteen yards was 8.60 clean to the headbox for a total time of 13.44. I had the good sense not to try this drill today.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife decided she was interested in this drill. Yesterday, we ended up with a dead 9V and no spare for our timer, so she shot it today for score with her G34 34/DP Pro out of her CO rig.

String one at seven yards was 4.84 clean, and string two at fifteen yards was 8.60 clean to the headbox for a total time of 13.44. I had the good sense not to try this drill today.
    Holeeee sheet! Spectacular!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The single most important “trick” to shooting the one hand portion of this drill well is to aim while you are pressing the trigger, as opposed to aiming the pistol, and try to hold sights steady while you are pressing the trigger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List