Thread: AR-9 Ejector and overall poor performance

AR-9 Ejector and overall poor performance

Purchased this AR9 new in 2016 and it has less then 700 rounds through it. Complaining to the manufacture has gone nowhere, they claim it's a magazine issue. Most recently the rifle started having an issue with firing two rounds at once and then being out of battery. Performing maintenance at home i returned to the range a couple of weeks later the first 2, magazines ran fine. About half way into the third mag the rifle went full-auto firing four rounds. After clearing two spent casing wedged together I chambered another round without seeing it the bolt was out of battery and blew out the magazine. Initially i didn't think there was any damage except to the mag. upon further inspection during cleaning i see the ejector is now bent away from aligning with the magazine. Would gently bending it with pliers back into position work, or should it be replaced. Also installing Kaw Valley buffer/xp-spring.

I would not retain a weapon that malfunctioned to full auto unless/until it had been thoroughly inspected and fixed by a certified and insured gunsmith. I would not want that liability on me.

With that said, the answers to your ejector question will vary greatly depending on which lower you have. Many of the Glock pattern lowers have easily replaceable ejectors. I’m not very familiar with the Colt pattern lowers, but I like replacing things over hammering them straight. My Glock pattern PSA/franken-gun was very violent (high bolt velocity) until I got the buffet weight tuned correctly.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    ...Would gently bending it with pliers back into position work...
    This is a common procedure for Colt AR9s. You want it as close to the bolt as possible without touching.

If you feel that the ejector may be compromised, they are relatively cheap and easy to replace. After replacing, make sure that it is as close to the bolt as possible without touching.

With OptiVisor on and bright light i discovered a hairline crack on the bottom part of the magazine case ejector. So much for the idea of incrementally attempting to bend it back into being true.
    Attachment 32884
    Attachment 32885
    Do i have to replace this OEM, or is after market generally acceptable? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    With OptiVisor on and bright light i discovered a hairline crack on the bottom part of the magazine case ejector. So much for the idea of incrementally attempting to bend it back into being true.

Do i have to replace this OEM, or is after market generally acceptable? thanks
    What specific lower is that? I see it's Glock pattern, but I've never seen one with the ejector at the forward edge of the mag well. Mine is a rebranded New Frontier Arms (same as PSA), and the ejector is the silver "shark fin" aft of the magazine:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Ap...LOWER-S_00.jpg

With that said, the Glock pattern AR9 is not standardized in the mil-spec sense the AR15 is, so it's likely you will have to go OEM.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Update; contacted customer service and discussed overall performance of rifle and the frustrations over its poor performance. The CS Rep. explained they have learned a lot about the operation and design of their rifles since starting production. After sending the rifle back for warranty work they changed the bolt, buffer, buffer spring, trigger, barrel and bolt release assembly. It was the fastest turn around for any warranty work ever done for me, Milwaukee Power Tools is a close second. Made it to the range yesterday. Shot 4, different types of 9mm ammo approximately sixty rounds without any stoppages, and thats a first for this rifle.

User Tag List