Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Geissele Complete Factory Rifle for 750 USD

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I’ve been waiting for this for years! I hope it’s happening but the price seems too go to be true. His uppers sell for $1,000 - $1500.
    SOCOM spec uppers. With parts from outside vendors. By staying in house and using the ALG HG which is effective but significantly cheaper to make I can see these with an LE price in that price range.

That price is LE only and it is the base model, stripped. I would expect the delux version with G rails and G triggers etc to be double.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Which upper did you get and what is the difference between “clone” and “near clone?”
    I bought the 10.3” near clone upper. The main difference is the use of a Colt upper and BCG in the clone. The near clone has MILSPEC parts but not Colt originals. The barrels on both are actually Daniel Defense.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-01-2018 at 07:23 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I bought the 10.3” near clone upper. The main difference is the use of a Colt upper and BCG in the clone. The near clone has MILSPEC parts but not Colt originals. The barrels on both are actually Daniel Defense.
    Gas blocks are different too;
    - "Clone" has the .mil issued Mk12 set screw block.
    - "Near Clone" uses Geissele's gas block, set screw & pinned.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    Gas blocks are different too;
    - "Clone" has the .mil issued Mk12 set screw block.
    - "Near Clone" uses Geissele's gas block, set screw & pinned.
    Kinda. There's been a surprising amount of discussion and attention devoted to the gas blocks.

On the 10.3" uppers, both "clone" and "near-clone" use the Geissele gas block. The difference in these uppers appears limited to the Colt parts in the clone.

On the 14.5" uppers, the "clone" uses the Mk12 gas block and the "near clone" uses the Geissele gas block. However, because of a few reported clearance issues between the Mk12 gas block and Mk16 hand guard, there is now a "modified clone" 14.5" upper available that pairs the Geissele gas block with the Colt upper and BCG.

Kudos to Geissele and companies like Charlies' Custom Clones in catering to the cloner community that wants to build rifles that are exacting replicas of the military issue firearms. These uppers come with parts you simply can't find anywhere else, like the heretofore .mil only Surefire 4-prong flash hider. They also come with coupons from Surefire for discounts on the .mil issue suppressors and white/IR lights.

I think the "near-clone" represents the best "bang-for-the-buck" among the various offers. It can get complicated, with stripped/near/modified/clone grades available. Personally I'm not looking to build an exacting replica (I've already changed the Surefire muzzle device to accommodate my AAC can - heresy!) so the near-clone was close enough to scratch my itch. I actually think the Geissele gas block is the better part from a functional standpoint, but I understand the interest of the hard-core cloners.

These are great rifles, whether your interest is collecting, cloning, or shooting, and personally I like the direction USASOC is going with this configuration.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-01-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Hi Risk Customer Services
    I like the idea of a Geissele factory rifle but in all honesty I'd be pretty pissed to open the box and find an ALG rail, but that's what helps get them to price point.

I think I'd rather still start with a Colt OEM rifle and build to my spec.
    Last edited by Whiskey_Bravo; 12-02-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskey_Bravo View Post
    I like the idea of a Geissele factory rifle but in all honesty I'd be pretty pissed to open the box and find an ALG rail, but that's what helps get them to price point.

I think I'd rather still start with a Colt OEM rifle and build to my spec.
    We are looking at this from a gun hobbyist perspective.

Bill Geissle is a genuinely nice guy who both literally and figuratively supports our military and LE. If you had a choice between buying stock M-4 configuration M&P 15s or SIG m400s with plastic hand guards and this gun with the ALG handguard and trigger for your department which would you choose ?

Fact is the ALG had Guard is a perfectly functional and durable free float HG. Unless you need to maintain zero on a PEQ there is no practical advantage to a G rail. The ALG rail is superior to the Troy Alpha rails which were at one time the hot ticket.

If you're savvy and technically minded enough to assemble a URGI or BCM upper and Colt complete lower and a Sprinco Blue action spring and H3 buffer then that's probably a more upmarket option.

If you can't do that and you're buying a stock gun or recommending one for someone, there's plenty worse options than this Geissele.

Hi Risk Customer Services
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    We are looking at this from a gun hobbyist perspective.
    Agreed. However I think the problem is that to a lot of non shooter Admin types in the LEO world, when you tell them who built it they will respond with "Bill Who?".

I would all day recommend this rifle to my agency for purchase for patrol, but I would have a hard time justifying the name to the uninformed. I constantly hear how Troy and Stag make "really good mil-spec stuff" from my Admin because they are being influenced by local vendors who have hooks with those companies, yet they refer to a S&W M&P-15 as a POS.

I'm saying this all as a Geissele die hard. I just spent an absurd amount of money on their black Friday sale. I hope them the best with this project and as a LEO and a Patrol Rifle Armorer I absolutely 100% support them and will spread the good word.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    If you're savvy and technically minded enough to assemble a URGI or BCM upper and Colt complete lower and a Sprinco Blue action spring and H3 buffer then that's probably a more upmarket option.

If you can't do that and you're buying a stock gun or recommending one for someone, there's plenty worse options than this Geissele.
    Technical savvy aside, many agencies require factory complete guns as personally owned duty weapons. No matter how good a URGI upper is the only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops so they have to have that rule in place for the guy who wants to use the “just as good as” gun his brother in law built him from gun show parts.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Technical savvy aside, many agencies require factory complete guns as personally owned duty weapons. No matter how good a URGI upper is the only thing cheaper than a cop is two cops so they have to have that rule in place for the guy who wants to use the “just as good as” gun his brother in law built him from gun show parts.
    Absolutely, I'm not LE but you gotta do what you gotta do. I wouldn't want to find out that Bubbas were bringing Bubba rifles to work either.

User Tag List