Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pin match

Pin match

Over the past 5 weeks I have been fortunate to shoot a local pin match. I shot in open class, against 19 other shooters using Shadows, Checkmates, and various custom guns . So magwells, comps, and 2 lb. triggers dominated. The setup was mirrored so they could run two shooters simultaneously, but timed individually. First run cost $10, with each additional run being $5. Fastest time counts for score.

Because of peoples busy schedules, you drew a number, and your time went against theirs in the bracket. You may shoot at the same time as another, but it may not be against the one who drew your number. Pins were placed on cut up pallets at varying heights.The course of fire varied slightly from week to week, but always consisted of 10 pins, usually including a red stop pin. The array was anywhere from 7 - 10 yards, occasionally required a mag change and even had cut down pins one week.

I was pleased to win all of my brackets, had the fastest overall time 4/5 weeks and was just .17 behind the fastest shooter for that week. I was .28 faster than the second place shooter this week (unless he snuck back in and did another run). He was the one to beat, and was using a Shadow. I was using my carry gun, a USP9c v7 LEM. To say I am thrilled, is an understatement. I missed the first week, so I will not have the most wins, but should take second unless there is a shoot off. Highly recommend getting out and shooting some local leagues/matches, they are a heck of a lot of fun. Met some really cool folks and enjoyed myself.

Things I learned: When raw time counts, don't miss. Maintain flexibility to smooth transitions. Don't over drive the gun. If given the choice, start low and allow recoil to carry you to the higher targets. Focus on your shooting, not the guy next to you. Soft target focus worked well out to 10 yards for me. Gear doesn't matter, until it does. If you ask me how to shoot the course, I may make several suggestions. None of which will be the fastest.
    Taking a break from social media.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Awesome. Been a while since I shot a pin match. Local range used to have one, it was pretty much open so the gamers smoked everyone. Lots of fun though.

I did learn one thing that carries over into real life: a miss gets you that much closer to wasting time on a reload with nothing to show for it.

What ammo are you using? The wife and I have been lucky to shoot a local bowling pin match nearly every month. It's great practice. I'm usually the only competitor in the top 5 running iron sights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Man-on-Man bowling pin matches are my very favorite shooting sport.

@CCT125US, congrats for the performance and placing while shooting 9mm. Your lessons learned are insightful. The match descriptions sound exciting. I started bowling pins shooting a 9, and it was that sport that got me into .45, and then 10mm.

I recently moved, and I would love to either find a local pin match, or get one started up.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    What ammo are you using? The wife and I have been lucky to shoot a local bowling pin match nearly every month. It's great practice. I'm usually the only competitor in the top 5 running iron sights.

AE9FP / American Eagle 147

Not the fastest cycling / impulse, but it's a trade off for the flat point. They just hit with a bit more authority than round nose. Less shoot through, and pin wobble once they start getting chewed up. My fastest time was 5.12 so with initial presentation and transitions, I was looking at roughly .5 splits / transitions per pin. Certainly doable with any load.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 11-28-2018 at 11:02 PM.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    AE9FP / American Eagle 147

Not the fastest cycling / impulse, but it's a trade off for the flat point. They just hit with a bit more authority than round nose. Less shoot through, and pin wobble once they start getting chewed up. My fastest time was 5.12 so with initial presentation and transitions, I was looking at roughly .5 splits / transitions per pin. Certainly doable with any load.
    I'll give those a try in my G34.3 at the next match. The wife and have been running Remington 115 gr JHP with decent results.

That's some FAST and accurate shooting! We only run 5 pins on the table and we are only allowed to start with 7 rounds in the pistol.

The Pin Match is on again in June next year at
    Central Lake, MI. Half price entries are still available for a while, I think.

I got to the first of the new matches in 2017 but had to skip this year.
    All the way to Florida I'd think, "Now they're doing the shootoff."
    And wonder how shooters I knew from the old days were doing.

Lots of side matches and Richard Davis humor. You all should come?

pinshoot.com

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Awesome. Been a while since I shot a pin match. Local range used to have one, it was pretty much open so the good shooters smoked everyone. Lots of fun though.

I did learn one thing that carries over into real life: a miss gets you that much closer to wasting time on a reload with nothing to show for it.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    a miss gets you that much closer to wasting time on a reload with nothing to show for it.
    I used to shoot the Second Chance pin matches. One time I was shooting the man vs man vs man. 3 people at a time shooting against each other. It was me, Tom K and Dan S. ACP230 might recognize the names. We were all 3 standing there with slides locked back with a tangle of pins left on all our tables as the crowd was screaming RELOAD RELOAD. My reload was the fastest. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    The Pin Match is on again in June next year at
    Central Lake, MI. Half price entries are still available for a while, I think.

I got to the first of the new matches in 2017 but had to skip this year.
    All the way to Florida I'd think, "Now they're doing the shootoff."
    And wonder how shooters I knew from the old days were doing.

Lots of side matches and Richard Davis humor. You all should come?

pinshoot.com
    You all should,

We reduced entry fees this year, with opportunities for free optionals. The more shooters the better.

I will be RO'ing the rifle and shotgun slug events again in 2019.

User Tag List