Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Light Primer Strikes

Beretta 92 Light Primer Strikes

So, I’ve got a Beretta 92 that I’ve shot in USPSA Production once. I’m doing some dryfire and live fire practice with it and keep going back and forth on whether or not I want to keep spending time with it.

One thing that’s somewhat bothered me was the fact that I’ve had some light primer strikes since I installed a 16# hammer spring. So far the issue was with Fenix range ammo and some Winchester WB ammo. Doesn’t seem to have had a problem with Speer ammo yet. Is there something else that needs tweaking for reliable ignition with harder primers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm

A lot of 92s in this board are probably running 12 or 13 pound springs with Wilson trigger bars and no issues.

Hammer cams back farther with Wilson bar. More arc, more force.

If your gun has been shot or dry fired literally a ton your FP could be slightly compacted this leading to the issue.

No expert but my year of reduced weight springs has produced zero issues among 4 different guns

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Hmm

A lot of 92s in this board are probably running 12 or 13 pound springs with Wilson trigger bars and no issues.

Hammer cams back farther with Wilson bar. More arc, more force.

If your gun has been shot or dry fired literally a ton your FP could be slightly compacted this leading to the issue.

No expert but my year of reduced weight springs has produced zero issues among 4 different guns
    It’s still got less than 1,000 live rounds down the pipe. I have been dryfiring it quite a bit, but most of those trigger presses are SA presses which don’t trigger the hammer to smack the firing pin.

Site Supporter
    16# is the factory D spring weight. It should work with any commercial ammo.

1) is the 16# spring installed properly ?

2) detail strip to both make sure the firing pin channel is free of gunk and check for broken Firing pin ?
    Last edited by HCM; 11-28-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    16# is the factory D spring weight. It should work with any commercial ammo.

1) is the 16# spring installed properly ?

2) detail strip to both make sure the firing pin channel is free of gunk and check for broken Firing pin ?
    1.) How does one improperly install a hammer spring in a 92?

2.) I’ll see what I can get to this weekend for that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    1.) How does one improperly install a hammer spring in a 92?

2.) I’ll see what I can get to this weekend for that.

Not fully seated on the strut, kink in the spring - mostly based off what I have seen in P229s.

Not fully seated on the strut, kink in the spring - mostly based off what I have seen in P229s.
    I’m pretty sure I installed it correctly, but I’ll double check to make sure.

Every now and then we’ll get a gun at work where some dumbdick did exactly that and wouldn’t seat it on the strut fully, which is quite impressive to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Every now and then we’ll get a gun at work where some dumbdick did exactly that and wouldn’t seat it on the strut fully, which is quite impressive to me.
    If I pull the grips off of the frame I should be able to see if the hammer spring is seated on the hammer strut correctly, right? If it is buggered up, what’s a good method for making sure it doesn’t get buggered up?

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    If I pull the grips off of the frame I should be able to see if the hammer spring is seated on the hammer strut correctly, right? If it is buggered up, what’s a good method for making sure it doesn’t get buggered up?

Easiest way is to pull the spring and put it back in again, but use a little task light when you slide it in to make sure it’s going on the strut correctly.

User Tag List