Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta 92 Light Primer Strikes

Sounds like something other then the spring
    The only time I ever had lite primer strikes was below 11# spring

Site Supporter
    The firing pin channel might be clogged with debris/gunk. I would replace the hammer spring with another of same poundage in case the current one came to you with a problem. With a lighter spring you don't have the extra margin of whump so it might pay to replace the lighter ones more often. You might as well replace the recoil spring as long as you're buying springs. Beretta 92's are outstanding handguns, and it pleases my soul to see younger shooters buying and using them. If the op and I were enjoying a cup of coffee together, I might ask why he really wanted to change out perfectly good original factory springs, and then point out that his pistol would smooth out and lighten up a bit anyway. Though, to be honest, I would have to confess to having altered, worked on, blown up a couple, and messed up a few fine handguns. The op hasn't done this.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    If I pull the grips off of the frame I should be able to see if the hammer spring is seated on the hammer strut correctly, right? If it is buggered up, what’s a good method for making sure it doesn’t get buggered up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, there's a little bit more than that. Remove the grips so you can access the pin that holds the lanyard loop in the frame. Make sure the hammer is forward, push the lanyard loop on something hard just enough to remove some of the spring tension, and push the retaining pin out with a punch. If you've pushed the lanyard loop enough to relieve the tension, you won't need a hammer, it will push out with hand pressure. When the pin is out, slowly ease up on pressure and the lanyard loop, which is part of a "cup", will slide out the bottom of the frame. It retains the hammer spring so now you can look into the frame and see if it is properly around the hammer strut. Do a search on YouTube for replacing the hammer/mainspring and you'll find a lot of videos.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    The firing pin channel might be clogged with debris/gunk.
    Definitely check this. I had an Elite 2 that had this issue.

Ok, so an update finally.

I definitely wanted to try out some thin grips on the 92, so I ordered a set of the LTT thin grips. While there, I snagged another 16# hammer spring and a solid pin to replace the roll pin. When I went to go swap the hammer spring I took the old 16# spring out and compared it to the new spring that I got. The new spring was significantly longer than the old spring, by at least a few coils. I slapped the new spring in, slid the new solid pin in place, and was ready to rock. Stuck the thin grips on and did some dry presses.

Trigger pull is heavier, but not by a ton. I can see how that shorter spring was most likely the culprit of the light strikes, but was it was a stupid nice DA press. I went to go put the spring away in the baggie that it came in from Beretta, and it was marked 9000/PX4. So it would seem that Beretta sent me the wrong spring when I ordered it and I probably just figured that they knew what they were doing. I'll hopefully get to testing it later this week.

The thin grips totally change the handling of this gun for me though. I'm definitely digging it.

User Tag List