Thread: Hang gliding hijinx

Hang gliding hijinx

Wanna try hang gliding on your next trip to Switzerland?

Pick up some pointers from this guy:

Apparently, hang gliding needs a fifth rule. Or maybe just one.

(I haven't seen this posted yet...if I missed it, sorry.)

Hammertime
    Just wow! That is the most puckering video I think I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

And we talk about the importance of grip strength in shooting.....
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I flew hang gliders for many years. Failure to hook in was well-known and feared as a cause of accidents, but still happened. Some pilots managed to climb back up into the control frame but it usually didn’t end well.

Similar to “thought I cleared that” gun accidents, the cause was often being distracted or interrupted during the preflight routine. Or someone would hook in, do a hang check, have to unhook for some reason, and then pick up the glider and launch because the “hang check” box had already been checked off on the mental checklist.

Safety required a disciplined, consistent preflight routine. Good flying buddies were a big help.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Noooope.

Jesus said, “Lo I am with you always.”

On a good day it’s great — soaring in ridge lift, climbing in thermals, gliding with near-zero bar pressure with no structure around you to block the view.

If you choose poorly — usually because your ego and the desire to soar outweighs better judgement — you can find yourself in rowdy air getting your butt kicked but afraid to land because conditions in the LZ look worse.

Like so many things, your attitude is the biggest factor in your safety. You can fly conservatively, with appropriate equipment and only in near-perfect conditions and have fairly low risk. Or you can think you know it all from day 1 and learn the hard way.....

My son and I tandem skydived out of a helicopter over Interlaken. No mishaps, and guide’s cheesy line at the end was “saved two more lives!” Our hosts thought we were crazy and should have done something safer like paragliding... the view was exceptional. I think I’d rather jump again.

User Tag List