Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 145 silvertip

Thank you for the link, I love how these work out of my Model 27 and 28.

And 19 and 60 and 64 and 66 and 640 and 686.......

Alright, I'll stop now.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Here's the correct link: https://palmettostatearmory.com/winc...s-x357shp.html

Kinda curious though.....what's the hype about? It might be cheap for Silvertip, but there's plenty of other 1st Gen low-quality hollowpoints similar to Silvertip for much less money (almost half as much if you shop around).....and on the other end of the spectrum, just a few dollars more gets you modern, first-rate defense ammo.
    Modern, first-rate defense ammo in .357 Magnum that shoots to point of aim in fixed-sight revolvers pretty much doesn't exist. 158-grain Gold Dot is apparently designed to not expand at handgun velocities. GDSB and GS apparently work well but require adjustable sights. I think I've read that 158-grain Hydra-Shok works pretty well. I run R-P 158-grain SJHPs in my 681.

There are a lot of qualifiers in the above short paragraph. There are almost no professionally tests done on .357 Mag loads because the ROI for the ammo manufacturers sucks. All we have to go on is testing of uneven quality by amateurs on the Internet (the best probably being the Lucky Gunner tests) and anecdotal evidence from folks who were at the sharp end when the revolver was still in broad usage. It sounds like the .357 Mag ST load checks the boxes that need checking.

If you can provide data to improve what we know, I'll be all over it like white on rice.

So, I'm dinking around on that link for the last 10 minutes, trying to figure out why it won't let me do the 3 and get free shipping. Finally decided I was done messing with it, and just ordered one box, since that's all that would go into my cart. I guess that was the very last box they had... so, thanks for the link! Might be a while before we can score any more.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    So, I'm dinking around on that link for the last 10 minutes, trying to figure out why it won't let me do the 3 and get free shipping. Finally decided I was done messing with it, and just ordered one box, since that's all that would go into my cart. I guess that was the very last box they had... so, thanks for the link! Might be a while before we can score any more.
    Ha, nice job cleaning them out. Midway had it for $48 a box, which sent me to AmmoSeek, which led me to Palmetto. I secured 3 boxes earlier today.

A few other vendors have some, but nowhere near this price.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Modern, first-rate defense ammo in .357 Magnum that shoots to point of aim in fixed-sight revolvers pretty much doesn't exist. 158-grain Gold Dot is apparently designed to not expand at handgun velocities. GDSB and GS apparently work well but require adjustable sights. I think I've read that 158-grain Hydra-Shok works pretty well. I run R-P 158-grain SJHPs in my 681.

There are a lot of qualifiers in the above short paragraph. There are almost no professionally tests done on .357 Mag loads because the ROI for the ammo manufacturers sucks. All we have to go on is testing of uneven quality by amateurs on the Internet (the best probably being the Lucky Gunner tests) and anecdotal evidence from folks who were at the sharp end when the revolver was still in broad usage. It sounds like the .357 Mag ST load checks the boxes that need checking.

If you can provide data to improve what we know, I'll be all over it like white on rice.
    The FBI tested it back when they first started their multi-event testing. It was done from a 3" Model 13 and performed well. I'll try to find one of their old journals and source that.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I settled with Hornady 357mag 125gr FTX for my LCR357 a year or so ago .. I guess thats what I will use in my SP101 also ...I have a few boxes of 45 Colt in Winchester Silvertips I used to use in my Taurus 45 Colt snubbie

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    The FBI tested it back when they first started their multi-event testing. It was done from a 3" Model 13 and performed well. I'll try to find one of their old journals and source that.
    Wasn't it also their choice for those who carried .357 ammo?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Wasn't it also their choice for those who carried .357 ammo?
    It was.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    It was the issue FBI load in 1986. I still have a couple of boxes.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

FWIW, Midway is closing then out:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/23...p-hollow-point

User Tag List