Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winchester 145 silvertip

Winchester 145 silvertip

https://palmettostatearmory.com/checkout/cart/

$35/box. Free shipping on 3+

I'll post this in the ammo deals thread but in case some of you don't click on that I wanted to share.

Here's the correct link: https://palmettostatearmory.com/winc...s-x357shp.html

Kinda curious though.....what's the hype about? It might be cheap for Silvertip, but there's plenty of other 1st Gen low-quality hollowpoints similar to Silvertip for much less money (almost half as much if you shop around).....and on the other end of the spectrum, just a few dollars more gets you modern, first-rate defense ammo.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I posted a thread in the ammo section about recommended ammo for a 4" gun and a lot of knowledgeable guys recommended silver tips. At $50/box I'll pass. $35 with free shipping seems fair

Eta, thanks for the fixed link.
    Last edited by 03RN; 11-27-2018 at 11:21 AM.

I ran across this in a roundabout way, thanks for posting.

The Silvertip is well regarded in .357, especially from 4” or longer barrels.

This is a good price and it is produced in batches so not always in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I posted a thread in the ammo section about recommended ammo for a 4" gun and a lot of knowledgeable guys recommended silver tips. At $50/box I'll pass. $35 with free shipping seems fair

Eta, thanks for the fixed link.
    Here’s why:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....804#post794804

Thanks for the heads-up. My modest supply of .357 STHP ammo could use a refresh.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Here's the correct link: https://palmettostatearmory.com/winc...s-x357shp.html

Kinda curious though.....what's the hype about? It might be cheap for Silvertip, but there's plenty of other 1st Gen low-quality hollowpoints similar to Silvertip for much less money (almost half as much if you shop around).....and on the other end of the spectrum, just a few dollars more gets you modern, first-rate defense ammo.
    I am unaware of any hype, but I do not really look and listen for it. .357 STHP has had a good real-world reputation here in Texas, and along the southern border, for a very long time. Recoil is reasonable, even when fired from SP101 snub-guns. POI tends to be closer to POA, with fixed-sight guns regulated for 158-grain ammo. The muzzle flash is modest, and a dull orange, at least with my older .41 and .357 Mag STHPs, when fired at night. (I know that manufacturers will change powders, as well as bullet consturction, from time to time.) I never considered the .357 STHP “second-rate.”

I am not arguing against “first-rate” stuff. I used silver-boxed Federal Cartridge Hi-Shok* .357 Magnum 125-grain JHC when I toted a GP100 duty sixgun in the early Nineties, during which my only application of lethal force, by firearm, occurred, and may have kept using it when I down-sized to K-Frames 1995-1997, but somewhere along the way, I stopped using the really hot ammo in anything smaller than a full-lug 4” GP100. (My formerly-stronger wrist has not aged gracefully.)

Please do not hear my “tone” as being argumentative.

FWIW, that one 125-grain JHC bullet, fired defensively, was devastatingly effective, and mostly fragmented. “Controlled-Expansion” was not yet as much of “a thing” in those days, and full-pressure .357 Mag apparently works decently well, against erect human targets, whether or not it fragments. STHP was better-known for holding together, than the 125-grain higher-pressure loads, and some were saying, at the time, it was the all-‘round better load, for that reason.

Notably, I never considered all Silvertip Hollowpoints to be equal. At least in the Eighties, when I tried them, .44 Special and .45 ACP Silvertips had quite low velocity, and VERY soft construction. I was concerned about insufficent penetration, especially after passing through intermediate barriers.

*Hi-Shok, not Hydra Shok, and JHC = Jacket Hollow Cavity, then-Federalese for JHP. I think Federal stopped using “Hi-Shok” for handgun ammo quite some time ago, and JHC may have died out, too. Due to changes in local availability, I switched to Speer Gold Dot for 125-grain ammo.
    Last edited by Rex G; 11-27-2018 at 01:53 PM.

The Hi-Shok is, I believe, still available in their Classic line such as 9BP, 9BPLE, etc.
    While not the terminal ballistic equal to the new stuff, they were typically match accurate.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    The WW 145 STHP had a great reputation here in the Dallas area on turds when revolvers ruled in the 80s and 90s. There was lots of field validation of its effectiveness. I've also found it to be a great Texas white tail load in both 4" and 6" guns.

Thanks for the link...I'll be buying some of this.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 11-27-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Am I correct in thinking that when it comes to the .357 Magnum, it's less important to have the latest generation of projectile? It seems like it worked pretty well when it was an LE cartridge, and that much of the development of the other "service cartridges," particularly 9mm, was to get them to match the performance of the .357, without the attendant blast and recoil.

I just stocked up on Silvertips at a price considerably higher than this one, but I'm still tempted to buy some more. They are crazy accurate out of my new GP100.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List