Thread: Calling comics nerds--should I try Cerebus?

Calling comics nerds--should I try Cerebus?

I don't read comics often these days, but I've been thinking about taking the plunge on Cerebus since it is now a relative bargain:

http://www.cerebusdownloads.com/index2v16s.html

I know Sim sorta lost his shit by the end, but it sounds like the first 60-75% are worth it, maybe.

Any other pf comics fans?

If there are, my tastes ran to Love & Rockets, Sandman, and various Crumb stuff when I last had a "pull list," if that helps you gauge what I like.

The last superheroish thing I read was some of the Multiversity stuff and before that "Wanted," both of which I enjoyed.

Just got back my TB of Captain Britian and some of my LOEG comics from students who borrowed them today, got that old "jones."

Guns, ammo, and accessories have taken up the comics and gaming budget for the last decade or so.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I liked Cerebus but only read the first few. Maybe twenty or so.
    --Jason--

Definitely "Cerebus" and "High Society." After that is when Sim started to lose his shit. Maybe "Church and State," but no further. The earlier stuff is hilarious, though, and a pretty good satire.

I read them all, starting with individual issues in 1982, went years between reading and then catching up via the "phone books" and then read the last dozen or so issues one by one. It was worth it, but quite a journey!
    And Dave really did become a better artist, along with Gerhard. Yes, he did go kinda whacko. Some of his writing and ideas are brilliant.

Oh, and Los Bros Hernandez are fantastic!
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 11-26-2018 at 09:30 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

It's worth it. Even when he starts going nuts it's fascinating to watch someone spiral into insanity through their serialized art. And at its best it's hilarious.

Sounds like a thumbs up from the hive mind. I think I know what the disappointing spots will be like (at least I've read "Tangents" which screams "I'm real smart but I'm also an acid casualty and my divorce went really badly" so I'm prepared) and if nothing else, the art is brilliant.

Think I will buy the first half or so in December when I will have time to read it.

Thanks everyone!
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter Notorious E.O.C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    I used to skim that particular hobby space occasionally. I think the most likely intersection of comics and P-F is probably somewhere around The Activity and Black Powder, Red Earth.

Guns, ammo, and accessories have taken up the comics and gaming budget for the last decade or so.
    ¿Por que no los dos?
    The way we do science in XCOM is basically by shooting things first.
    - Jake Solomon

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post

If there are, my tastes ran to Love & Rockets, Sandman, and various Crumb stuff when I last had a "pull list," if that helps you gauge what I like.

The last superheroish thing I read was some of the Multiversity stuff and before that "Wanted," both of which I enjoyed.

Just got back my TB of Captain Britian and some of my LOEG comics from students who borrowed them today, got that old "jones."

We had a pretty decent comic thread going at one point -

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19939-Favorite-Comic-Books/page7

In recent years I really liked Darwyn Cooke's (RIP) take on the Parker novels, as well as the Jake Ellis series.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List