Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Ford fakes V8 engine noise on their Ecoboost engines

Site Supporter
    I visited the "Porsche Experience Center" in Atlanta recently and the Boxster and Cayman sales may be down because although beautiful they are $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I visited the "Porsche Experience Center" in Atlanta recently and the Boxster and Cayman sales may be down because although beautiful they are $$$$.
    How was that?

Mrs. and I are contemplating a long weekend including a hotel overnight near the airport to visit there.

And do the museum tour.

And do a driving experience.

In a 911.

Because, you know: reasons.

Site Supporter
    The Porsche facility in Atlanta is amazing (built next to airport at the former Ford facility that was razed). Everything is first class. They host business meetings there - I have been to two business meetings. They have a café and a restaurant. Besides Porsche cars on display - they have a museum like area. They also have a shop that restores "classic" Porsches. At the end of the meeting, I got a ride around the track in a new 911 (not sure of current nomenclature) with one of their drivers - he tried to scare me and succeeded - I hid it fairly well. Second meeting was pouring rain and they offered a ride - I declined as I had to be somewhere else . If I just won the lottery...……….

They let me park there in spite of driving a BMW 335. Rich, you and wife should definitely plan to make a day there. Leave your checkbook at home.

Site Supporter
    This is actually nothing new - BMW has been doing this for years. I just don't understand why the sound coming out the tailpipe isn't good enough. I really don't like this kind of "bait and switch." I had more than one BMW salesman tell me that in their opinion, it's false advertising - off the record, of course.
    Last edited by 11B10; 12-01-2018 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 11B10 View Post
    This is actually nothing new - BMW has been doing this for years. I just don't understand why the sound coming out the tailpipe isn't good enough. I really don't like this kind of "bait and switch." I had more than one BMW salesman tell me that in their opinion, it's false advertising - off the record, of course.
    Noise Passby Requirements combined with the fact that it’s the Air Induction that is key to tell INTERIOR Sound - which is the sound that matters.

The turbocharger impeller blades effectively cancels the combustion pulses and harmonics that is normally so noticeable with a naturally aspirated engine.

And if you can hear the tailpipe contribution at low throttle it is excessive at wider throttle applications.

It’s a balance.

The turbocharged engines get rid of one component (the Air Induction) so that’s why we are seeing the “electrickery”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Noise Passby Requirements combined with the fact that it’s the Air Induction that is key to tell INTERIOR Sound - which is the sound that matters.

The turbocharger impeller blades effectively cancels the combustion pulses and harmonics that is normally so noticeable with a naturally aspirated engine.

And if you can hear the tailpipe contribution at low throttle it is excessive at wider throttle applications.

It’s a balance.

The turbocharged engines get rid of one component (the Air Induction) so that’s why we are seeing the “electrickery”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesbut...ya see, I'm an old hotrodder/streetracer/legaldragracer who loves the REAL exhaust sounds. Since retiring from my full time job, I've been driving part time and gotta admit that even though I was never a Mopar guy, I get a charge outta driving anything with a HEMI in it, even the trucks. Those and every Chevy performance car - Corvettes, Camaros. It's a huge reason why I have had a couple Harleys, too. Give me the real thing, any day of the week.

Site Supporter
    ...I get a charge outta driving anything with a HEMI in it, even the trucks...
    I have a RAM with a Hemi.

You're preaching to the choir.

I get a charge outta driving anything with a HEMI in it, even the trucks.
    Al least until the transmission dies...

Site Supporter
    Al least until the transmission dies...

Now YOU'RE preaching to the choir! Seriously, can anyone resist blipping the throttle on a HEMI powered vehicle? I don't think much of the vehicles, but that sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    One man's "excessive" is another man's "just right". If it doesn't set off car alarms when you blip the throttle in an open air parking lot, it isn't loud enough.

Speaking of induction noise, I was sitting around looking at potential engine swaps into Money Pit 1 (Sunbeam Alpine), since the original engine is toasted. I'm currently split between two choices - A Honda F20C (S2000 motor) with individual throttle bodies or something completely different a Triumph Rocket III bike motor (2300cc 3-cylinder) also with ITBs. The sound difference is interesting with the Honda being a much more "revvy" engine and the Triumph being more "growly" when the ITBs open up.

I'm getting pretty fond of the Rocket III engine idea, it'll take a little work to build a bike-engine car, but it'll be lighter, offer tons of power (NA-tuned engines dropping 250hp, supercharged engines north of 400, before E85...), have the fun of a sequential gearbox on the street and track, and sound awesome. Pretty easy to build a 50/50 weight distributed car, with a curb weight of 2000 pounds. Trickiest part of the whole build is a clutch and that's not that bad, a Rocket III weighs some 1000 pounds with a rider on it and they've developed strong slipper clutches for drag racing with the 400hp motors. Should be able to handle a 2000 pound car with only ~200-225hp. Plus it's a twenty minute job to replace one.

User Tag List