Page 7 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Site Supporter
    I have a Gen IV Glock 34 with a Trijicon Series 2 RMR06 on it that I've been shooting since the end of August.

I have about 1750 rounds through the combination so far, and have shot four USPSA classifiers in Carry Optics so I should have a provisional classification soon. I'm accurate but slow, so I'll probably be in C class like I am in everything else.

I'm taking an RDS pistol class with Modern Samurai Project in May of 2019 that I'm looking forward to.

I find the RDS to be easy to shoot and VERY useful when shooting on indoor ranges with spooky lighting conditions. I had anticipated that I might be a little quicker shooting an RDS equipped pistol but so far that has not proved to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff22 View Post
    I have a Gen IV Glock 34 with a Trijicon Series 2 RMR06 on it that I've been shooting since the end of August.

I have about 1750 rounds through the combination so far, and have shot four USPSA classifiers in Carry Optics so I should have a provisional classification soon. I'm accurate but slow, so I'll probably be in C class like I am in everything else.

I'm taking an RDS pistol class with Modern Samurai Project in May of 2019 that I'm looking forward to.

I find the RDS to be easy to shoot and VERY useful when shooting on indoor ranges with spooky lighting conditions. I had anticipated that I might be a little quicker shooting an RDS equipped pistol but so far that has not proved to be true.
    I bet you benefit from the class. I have not taken it, but note he covers acceptable sight picture which is very much related to red dot speed.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Another good match for my wife Sunday. I am getting nervous!

YVK and I were discussing the difference between a DP Pro and RMR for use gaming, and my belief is they are so different that they are not interchangeable.

Name:  0FACABF9-1151-41CD-AE3C-67831872BE12.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  28.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

YVK and I were discussing the difference between a DP Pro and RMR for use gaming, and my belief is they are so different that they are not interchangeable.

That's sort of like the difference in the view out the side window of a car vs out the front windshield.

Needs a third pic with an acro.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I was pleased to look at the update on the USPSA classifier database this morning and see that my wife, Charlie, got her initial Cary Optics classification as a B. She is shooting stronger than that in matches, but it sure is hard to put down on the classifier!

Here is my wife’s video from today’s match.

And mine.

Have you evaluated the FOV without the iron sights with the RMR?

I agree that BUS occlude the FOV with the RMR and I've been going back and forth about wanting to have them on my next install. I'm still leaning on 'yes' but thinking only a front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Have you evaluated the FOV without the iron sights with the RMR?

I agree that BUS occlude the FOV with the RMR and I've been going back and forth about wanting to have them on my next install. I'm still leaning on 'yes' but thinking only a front sight.
    I use an RMR with suppressor BUIS. It's still not as open a view as the DP but its darn close. To me the BUIS RMR set up in the pic above isn't useable, but its not a convential or "best practices" BUIS set up for an RMR. However, I have no where near GJM's experience so I'm in to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    I use an RMR with suppressor BUIS. It's still not as open a view as the DP but its darn close. To me the BUIS RMR set up in the pic above isn't useable, but its not a convential or "best practices" BUIS set up for an RMR. However, I have no where near GJM's experience so I'm in to learn
    When I did Glocks (2 G19, 1 G17) I used suppressor height sights and my current crop (2 P229) both have suppressor height sights. I have a P226 that I want to get done, but keep going back and forth about the utility benefit. There was a thread here recently about using the BUS to aid in alignment with non-standard shooting positions or aid in dot alignment with poor presentation. With a little bit of dry fire practice (doing those above actions) I see the utility and will definitely get a front sight done. I keep going back and forth about wanting to get a rear sight done though. As GJM's photo shows, they take up a lot of the available FOV.

I switched to a dot because with my vision it is hard to focus on a front sight (always had vision problems) so a target focus is what my end objective is/was. Even with BUS, I won't be using them for anything more than finding the dot, so that's why I question the utility of the rear sight.

User Tag List