Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Bill Rogers told me five years ago that the transition to a red dot is orders of magnitude easier for a skilled shooter with a refined index. A red dot does not tolerate sloppy anything, and misalignment issues that would perhaps not even be noticed by many iron sight shooters result in no dot visible on a pistol.

The great thing about a red dot is it talking to you constantly about grip and trigger. Anytime the dot is not where you expect it, is an opportunity to diagnose what went wrong and fix it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The great thing about a red dot is it talking to you constantly about grip and trigger. Anytime the dot is not where you expect it, is an opportunity to diagnose what went wrong and fix it.
    GJM, even with my limited MRDS experience (6 months now) I find it to be one of the best learning and diagnostic tools I could have ever imagined. I only wished I had availed myself of the opportunity sooner.

And your Missus is incredible! Thank you for posting the vids of her. She flippin' owns those Texas Stars! Impressive!

I carried and shot RMR-equipped pistols exclusively for about three years to great effect before deciding to move back to irons for carry.

I was trepidatious at first but I really find myself digging the all-weather, minimal occlusion characteristics of irons again.

I still rotate in an MOS gun with an RMR in practice - shooting a dot in training pays huge dividends and I want to continue to take advantage of that. I think the two systems complement each other very well.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    I still rotate in an MOS gun with an RMR in practice - shooting a dot in training pays huge dividends and I want to continue to take advantage of that. I think the two systems complement each other very well.
    I sure agree with this, and feel dedicated iron sight shooters definitely can benefit from red dot practice time.

My wife had another great match today. She was ninth overall, one place behind a Production GM, and but for running by one target and getting 40 penalty points would have been seventh overall.

@GJM Are you still direct milling your all of your RMR’s. What’s your current favorite red dot and dot size? What do you think about VP9’s as a dot host?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    @GJM Are you still direct milling your all of your RMR’s. What’s your current favorite red dot and dot size? What do you think about VP9’s as a dot host?
    Trying to. Still DP Pro for gaming with the dot as opposed to the triangle. Excellent.

A really fun thing about my wife starting USPSA is how intense she is now about practice. We often take turns playing “monkey see, monkey do.” Here is surrender starts at 12 yards to an eight inch steel, now that we are also shooting Steel Challenge, and support hand only presentations to the same steel at 15 yards to work acquiring the dot, grip and trigger control.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    A potential factor with the HK’s is the milling cost. L&M charges significantly more to mill a P30 than some other guns. Not sure if that holds true for the VP9 also.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    A potential factor with the HK’s is the milling cost. L&M charges significantly more to mill a P30 than some other guns. Not sure if that holds true for the VP9 also.
    It is $190 including refinishing at Primary Machine, with about a one week turn. They have done two of mine, and have one for Talionis underway.

User Tag List