Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    How much of your findings are effected by the change in recoil characteristics from the comp? If any?

How's that comp holding up? Have you done any writeups on that 229 setup? I'm curious.
    I'll try to respond in a general sense, but let me know if there's anything specific I can help with.

The recoil control mechanics are the same (which is why I was happy to see she didn't have any wrist rise with the uncompensated Shadow 2), obviously compensated guns have less muzzle flip.

Compensators DO affect the ability to time single bounce splits, but that's separate from the recoil management part if that makes sense.

So for example, you can have good recoil management with a gun that's difficult to time and track (like a stock Czechmate with all up port compensator that wants to return in n 0.11s or so... I can't time that fast on demand)... and not be able to split fast.

My recoil management is the same but if I take the same gun and change to a more side port comp and softer spring, I can match much better to a 0.13-14 timed single bounce... whereas I had to work really hard to make the stock gun split faster than 0.18-20.

But the flip side is that if your recoil control has a lot of vertical translation... you'll never be able to split 0.15-0.17 because the gun is still moving upwards and won't be back on target. You can see this clearly on video of people shooting. Slow motion helps, but it's not necessary to pick up when someone isn't locked down.

So that's what I'm judging for her. She can do 0.11-15 splits with an Open minor Czechmate. She is likely going to be able to do 0.16-0.18 splits with a Shadow 2 when her trigger timing gets a little better using the same recoil management.

We are going to hit the range again on Tuesday with the EDC X9 and I expect her to put down sub-20s on demand with that gun.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can you indulge me and elaborate a little more? It'd help me address specific things.

I haven't really written up much about the 229 setup but I can if people are interested. It's a super gamey build so I don't really recommend it to others.

If I wanted to add back some margin I would have the slide milled for weight reduction.
    I'm not sure if I can accurately articulate my question.

I'd have to think about how to phrase it.

I'd be interested in a 229 write up.
    Last edited by Magsz; 07-26-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    I'm not sure if I can accurately articulate my question.

I'd have to think about how to phrase it.

I'd be interested in a 229 write up.
    Here’s part of the assessment of recoil control.

You know it’s good when the gun just moves in recoil but the arms don’t translate upwards or drift.

Trigger timing is separate.

So look at this before and after trigger press.

Look at the arm position in relation to the same spot on the wall that I marked in white.

Notice how the arms don’t move upward under recoil.

Name:  IMG_3458.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  56.8 KBName:  IMG_3459.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  46.5 KB

This is my wife shooting my Shadow 2 (uncompensated).

This is my recoil control with the EDC X9 I’m setting up for her.

Note the gun rotates but doesn’t translate. That’s key.
    Last edited by JCN; 07-26-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Doesn’t like it…

Wife didn’t like the Wilson Combat…

She did like my chunk cut Shadow 2…

First time with the gun and she’s able to do some 0.15-0.16 splits.

With a little more work it should settle in.

Charlie is pretty messed up from her shoulder fracture to her support side shoulder but is determined to come through this a better strong hand only shooter. I load her mags and hand her her pistol, so I am getting Sig practice again!

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Charlie is pretty messed up from her shoulder fracture to her support side shoulder but is determined to come through this a better strong hand only shooter. I load her mags and hand her her pistol, so I am getting Sig practice again!

Can’t keep a champ down!

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Go Charlie, go charlie go charlie! (I'm doing that thing with my head bobbing side to side)

That is so dag gum awesome!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Charlie is scheduled for a ORIF surgery on the Proximal Humerus next Wednesday. We were hoping to avoid surgery, but there is too much risk for her to have a significant reduction in her range of motion without the procedure. I know she will be an extremely motivated PT patient.

In the mean time, her strong hand only shooting is getting pretty tuned up, as is my proficiency in loading 320 magazines. Video from today.

Now she is incorporating movement into her one hand shooting.

Had the week off work

So set up a few more Shadow 2s.

In the name of the thread, half of the guns are irons and half are red dots.

Up to a point, red dots helped my irons. Now irons are helping my red dots….

Name:  IMG_3966.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  71.0 KB

It’s full circle.

Wife is getting used to the gun I set up with her.

Recoil control is still pretty wobbly.

But learning is occurring.

User Tag List