Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Working back at pistol

Started training pistol again after 6 months off.

Wrist injury I think is pretty healed up now.

Getting back in the saddle. It took about two weeks of training back to get to this point.

All the Cool Guys have Binocular Vision

Took an intermediate pistol class a week ago, my first outing with and RDS-quipped handgun, my Staccato C2 with PA Holosun/ACSS. We did the tape over objective to demonstrate the brain's ability to fuse left and right eye imagery and thus the value of shooting with both eyes open. I explained to the instructor that I didn't have binocular vision, but he couldn't get the picture. He asked me what I saw when on target; I answered: the red dot in my right visual field, the target in my left visual field. We did some shooting drills at close range and I would hit the target by simply matching the outline of the RDS with that of the target. He finally gave up and let me remove the tape. When I graduated from University in 1967 I considered enlisting in the Air Force but only if I could at least pass the basic physical for pilot training; no go as I was unable to pass the binocular vision test.

I have experienced an issue, fortunately not often, where my brain switches to my left eye and I loose the sights completely; this can occur because my shooting glasses are set up with 2 meter focus for the right (dominant) eye and distance focus left eye. Distance targets tend to be clearer in the left eye as a result and my brain can select the wrong eye when it gets off task. This is post cataract surgery where, obviously, I can't change focus. The 2 meters (1/2 diopter add) works well for both irons and RDS.

Name:  New front sight in jig.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  94.7 KB
    Name:  4 inch sstock facing  right.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  45.9 KB

6 inch 617 for iron sight and 4 inch that I'm going to put a red dot on.

Back up to speed

I love red dots.

This past weekend our local training group held our monthly class/clinic. At the end of the day it was suggested we run the "Dickens Drill". I suggested otherwise saying the kneejerk reaction of everyone running this drill was just too much. Sorry it just rubbed me the wrong way.

So I suggested a walkback on steel and we could see how it plays out dot guys vs the iron sight guys. It was draw from concealed, single shot and we started at 50 yards. The first guy to shoot had a dot and he still had Dickens stuck in his head. We had to stop him after he hammered the B/C steel 4 times. We had 3 guys with dots and 4 with irons. If you missed you got a second chance Strong Hand Only. If you missed SHO you got a 3rd chance Other Strong Hand.

Everyone hit at 50 easily. We moved to 60. Three dot guys up 3 hits. One iron sight guy missed and got his SHO hit. At 70 we lost 2 iron sight guys. I missed my first shot and when I hit SHO I was told I hit the bottom edge of the steel. I was shooting my 1911 (irons) with my reloads and decided I needed to raise my hold. The 9's were shooting flat and I was lobbing them in.

After 70 yards we went to 5 yard increments. We maxed out at 85 yards. By the time we got there it was me and one dot shooter (the guy who hammered 50). I was holding with a sliver of the head of the target visible over my front sight and couldn't miss.

Finally someone suggested we both go SHO and Mr. Dot hit and I missed. Hardly a scientific test especially given the various skill levels of the shooters but it appeared the Dots were an advantage at distance.

The winner and what it looked like.

Name:  1662844A-0CEF-4BD0-8B25-41CDCD449099.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  65.8 KB

Better view from the beginning.

Name:  58BCA5B0-E14B-4761-B3ED-943C07DDB337.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  55.6 KB
    Last edited by JohnO; 08-11-2022 at 06:52 AM.

Question I've had for while is there significant differences with pistol frame mounted Dot or Revolver mounted Dot vs slide mounted Dot?

I'd assume bit less durability issues for the Dot since its not on slide, and possibly some differences for multiple shots on ether single target or multiple targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Dov View Post
    Question I've had for while is there significant differences with pistol frame mounted Dot or Revolver mounted Dot vs slide mounted Dot?

I'd assume bit less durability issues for the Dot since its not on slide, and possibly some differences for multiple shots on ether single target or multiple targets?
    I personally prefer a frame mounted dot, if we're talking about shootability and not concealability. I know some open shooters have gone to a slide mounted dot, but most have stuck with the frame mounted dot.

I do shoot both on a regular basis, as I have a slide mounted dot on my Carry Optics pistol, since it's required by division rules, whereas my Open has the frame mounted.

Reasons:

1. Dot is stationary during shooting (not reciprocating)
    2. Dot can be located in front of the ejection port, so it tracks a little more linear with the recoil.
    3. Added weight is on the frame and not the slide.
    4. Not limited by a "micro dot". My CMore on my Open gun is 23+ years old and 80K+ major power factor rounds in (many of which, old major 175+).

Just my opinion, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I personally prefer a frame mounted dot, if we're talking about shootability and not concealability. I know some open shooters have gone to a slide mounted dot, but most have stuck with the frame mounted dot.

I do shoot both on a regular basis, as I have a slide mounted dot on my Carry Optics pistol, since it's required by division rules, whereas my Open has the frame mounted.

Reasons:

1. Dot is stationary during shooting (not reciprocating)
    2. Dot can be located in front of the ejection port, so it tracks a little more linear with the recoil.
    3. Added weight is on the frame and not the slide.
    4. Not limited by a "micro dot". My CMore on my Open gun is 23+ years old and 80K+ major power factor rounds in (many of which, old major 175+).

Just my opinion, YMMV.
    My observation is that most guys running slide-mount dots in Open do so with the emphasis on multigun, where they want some kind of retention holster, and it's easier to do that for a slide-mount optic.

I don't think anyone competitive in USPSA runs a slide-mount optic in Open. The non-reciprocating part makes it a lot easier to track, plus it's less hard on the dot. It also means that the smith can get the slide weight tuned a lot easier.

If I could conceal a frame mount optic, I would use that on my carry gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    I wonder if the future will be a carry version of the Alien with a fixed optic mount that doesn’t reciprocate but still looks like a slide mount.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    My observation is that most guys running slide-mount dots in Open do so with the emphasis on multigun, where they want some kind of retention holster, and it's easier to do that for a slide-mount optic.

I don't think anyone competitive in USPSA runs a slide-mount optic in Open. The non-reciprocating part makes it a lot easier to track, plus it's less hard on the dot. It also means that the smith can get the slide weight tuned a lot easier.

I think Taran with the Sand Viper, is hoping you are wrong, but I think you are right!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List