Page 28 of 38 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

This week, I have been mostly shooting a Canik Rival with iron sights. Those skills sure are perishable and I am trying to knock some of the rust off.

Mid practice today, I grabbed an optic Rival, and shot some. My first impression was the dot is ALL over the place. Clearly, what had happened, is without the feedback of the dot, I had stopped gripping the Rival with iron sights as hard as I should. Started gripping hard again with my support hand, and the dot quieted right down. As I have said before, a red dot is like having a full time coach watching every shot fired.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This week, I have been mostly shooting a Canik Rival with iron sights. Those skills sure are perishable and I am trying to knock some of the rust off.

Mid practice today, I grabbed an optic Rival, and shot some. My first impression was the dot is ALL over the place. Clearly, what had happened, is without the feedback of the dot, I had stopped gripping the Rival with iron sights as hard as I should. Started gripping hard again with my support hand, and the dot quieted right down. As I have said before, a red dot is like having a full time coach watching every shot fired.
    Could not agree more. Absolutely my first observation when I put a dot on my Staccato C a few months ago. I'll stick with the dot despite my observation that the optic is a dust magnet; never noticed dust on my iron sights! Looking forward to running the Staccato in Steel Challenge getting ready for a class in July (in Open unfortunately).

If I wanted to dot up from scratch, because, reasons: what is the best way/most future-forward way to do it at the moment? I don’t currently have any RDS-ready pistols.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    If I wanted to dot up from scratch, because, reasons: what is the best way/most future-forward way to do it at the moment? I don’t currently have any RDS-ready pistols.
    1. Pick a gun / grip system that is popular and mainstream.

2. Pick either something that has aftermarket slides or a multi optic cut.

3. Pick a common footprint with large window and dry fire.

So that would look like:

Glock MOS / Shadow systems optic ready.
    Sig P365 or P320

Trijicon SRO / Holosun 507c / Holosun EPS
    Holosun 507k / Shield RMSc

————

Cheap way that’s easy to get started is a dovetail mount.

They’re not optimal, but they’re “good enough” while you get started.

I would avoid a plate system and get a slide milled for RMR or cc, or one that accepts it directly.

It’s not future proof, but it is simpler and less prone to failure.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

What is your most common and/or favorite service sized pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is your most common and/or favorite service sized pistol?
    9mm Glock, original frame sizes.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Holosun’s new MOS direct mount dots are promising…
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

My thought process would go like this.

Do I like Gen 3, 4 or 5 better. Do I have one already. If I had one, direct milling by an outfit like Maple Leaf makes a lot of sense. If I had to buy one, I would first decide Glock 19, 45 or 17, and then probably buy MOS for maximum flexibility with current and future optics. With MOS, go with an after market plate from Forward Controls/ Tango Down or CHPWS. Put the lowest BUIS possible on after your have transitioned to learning the dot, but before you EDC it. Decide on a Holosun, RMR, or Acro. Shoot the crap out of it.

After shooting CO for years, I decided to shoot Open for a while.

This is my timmie Open gun.

Name:  4A92687C-CD6F-474F-BBA2-2D3B9B53AD5B.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  76.1 KB

And my real Open gun.

Name:  3B9CED1F-7E65-484C-8390-3AF13D35559D.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  67.7 KB

User Tag List