Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Holy crap I would be very happy with that group for that many rounds at 20M any day with my Glocks (all iron sighted). I get the same flyers over a dozen rounds.
    Same. Like I said, for precise shooting at distance, the effect of the dot is noticeable and immediate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Definitely consistent with my observation over the years that, all things being equal, novice female shooters learn much faster and generally just shoot better than novice male shooters. I blame video games
    I've noticed the same thing. I have a female friend who had never fired a gun in her life until last spring, when she decided she wanted me to take her to the range. Last time we were out shooting, she put five of her first six shots of the day in a nice round 3-inch group dead center in the A zone of an IPSC target at 15 yards, with an iron sighted P99, shooting the first round DA (I never bothered to explain to her that there's any other way to do it, so she just took to the DA-SA transition naturally along with everything else). She dropped one in the middle of the string a few inches low but recovered and put the last 3 right in with the first 2. For her there's no ego involved, it's just an enjoyably challenging mind-body exercise like yoga.
    Last edited by OfficeCat; 04-16-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Women are typically better shots then men, at first. Shooting is still seen as a traditionally "manly" thing. Consequently, most men bring egos and mental hang ups to the mix that women don't. Men may be embarrassed to suck, because they may seem like less of a man, or they don't want to take instruction because they want to show everyone how alpha they are. Women are just a sponge and know how to shut up and listen. The challenges with teaching women come at the intermediate and advanced levels. Men and women process information in different ways and the more nuanced the information becomes the more those differences come into play.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Women are typically better shots then men, at first. Shooting is still seen as a traditionally "manly" thing. Consequently, most men bring egos and mental hang ups to the mix that women don't. Men may be embarrassed to suck, because they may seem like less of a man, or they don't want to take instruction because they want to show everyone how alpha they are. Women are just a sponge and know how to shut up and listen. The challenges with teaching women come at the intermediate and advanced levels. Men and women process information in different ways and the more nuanced the information becomes the more those differences come into play.
    Also depends how the individual is wired. As an engineer, my wife processes info differently than I do.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Definitely ego is the thing that gets in the way of most people’s shooting progress.

I have seen that in some women too.

And seen the absence of that in many men.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Also depends how the individual is wired. As an engineer, my wife processes info differently than I do.
    Engineers are a class unto themselves.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    100% my observations as well

Edit: this whole conversation now has my finger hovering over an order for slide work for two glocks with Jagerwerks...

I've long accepted than any further resistance to dots on my part is petulance garnered from the amount of time I spent mastering the nuances of iron sights, time that would have been unnecessary had dots developed 10 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    100% my observations as well

Edit: this whole conversation now has my finger hovering over an order for slide work for two glocks with Jagerwerks...

Quote Originally Posted by MickAK View Post
    I've long accepted than any further resistance to dots on my part is petulance garnered from the amount of time I spent mastering the nuances of iron sights, time that would have been unnecessary had dots developed 10 years earlier.
    Agreed.... hence why I pulled the trigger

When I tested back to back on carry guns, I was just better with a dot so I’m pretty much all dots and just use irons for 22LR practice to so I can still do it.

In 10 years all slides will be optics ready from the factory.

User Tag List