Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Great shooting and excellent vid. Thank you for posting.

She's inspiring! What a team you guys make!

Great to hear the positive report. Excited about the bigger-picture implications of such great results with RMR/red dot. It was only a few weeks ago that some seemed to poo-poo running an RMR on slides longer than those of a G19. Seemed that there was negativity on longer slides due to concerns about slower reciprocation(??). My older eyes need a break from stretching their limits of focus (on the front site)!

My wife continues to shoot Carry Optics. She likes it enough she told me to fix up a carry gun with a dot for her.

Over the past weeks, the dot has helped her to make enormous performance gains, and at today’s match she finished seventh overall. Fun to watch.

Here is her stage three today.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife continues to shoot Carry Optics. She likes it enough she told me to fix up a carry gun with a dot for her.
    What are your thoughts on the RMR and rain?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    What are your thoughts on the RMR and rain?

Okie John
    Avoid it, meaning rain, until the Aimpoint arrives. And, based on my experience in downpours in AK. use a model RMR you can turn off and resort to BUIS or a laser if you have to be out in heavy rain with an RMR.

Avoid it, meaning rain, until the Aimpoint arrives. And, based on my experience in downpours in AK. use a model RMR you can turn off and resort to BUIS or a laser if you have to be out in heavy rain with an RMR.
    I saw 9 students at class (out of 12) dump 20oz Aquafina bottles on their RMR’s (filled the emitter area) and immediately make hits on 1/2 IPSC’s at 100 yards without issue (the other 3 took 3 shots to make a hit). I personally find the rain issue overblown (and I’ve been carrying RMR’s since 2011)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. That’s been my experience as well. We rarely get downpours but the humidity is off the scale and condensation forms quickly.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I saw 9 students at class (out of 12) dump 20oz Aquafina bottles on their RMR’s (filled the emitter area) and immediately make hits on 1/2 IPSC’s at 100 yards without issue (the other 3 took 3 shots to make a hit). I personally find the rain issue overblown (and I’ve been carrying RMR’s since 2011)

You been to Alaska?

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....MR-in-the-rain

Nope (and the majority of America’s 330,000,000 people done live there, either). Grew up up in NE where the average class involves torrential downpours, light mists, followed by blistering heat.

I live in CA, where rain is almost a myth, but both this week and last week we got hit hard with good storms that allowed me to play with my type-1 RMR in rain, mud, and snow. In heavy rain I had no problem making 50 and 100 yard hits on steel torso targets (10"x12" bodies with 5" square head) and while the dot is a bit harder to find it wasn't nearly as problematic as I thought it would be. Snow was obviously less of an issue. Of course, I didn't go from cold into warm and have to shoot, so earlier today I experimented and put my Glock and RMR in the snow for a few minutes and then brought it it. There was some fogging but no problem seeing the dot. So I put it in the freezer at 0 degrees for a half hour then took it out. It took a solid 10 minutes before it was usable. I'd bet the Aimpoint would do WAY better on that because I think much of the problem was the emitter, not the window. I tried the 38 degree refrigerator for a half hour and then took it out (about 68 degree ambient in my house) and had just a tiny bit of fogging that wouldn't cause much of a problem if at all.

Now... Let's talk about the Glock. What a diva! A bit of water and a "teeny" bit of mud and the thing gives me stovepipes, failures to feed, and light strikes galore!!!

User Tag List