Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    At 53, it's been at least 8-10 years since I've been able to focus on a pistol's front sight. I've come up with my workarounds, involving mostly target-focused shooting with a narrow, fiber optic front sight. I also draw with target focus and depend on a good index to have the sights show up aligned on target.

To be completely honest I'm amazed that I made it to B class in Production in my first full season (2019), and during tonight's match my stage times were within 3 - 4 seconds of the CO guys who have better sights and two fewer reloads than I.

But I'm tired of the workarounds and I'm tired of dropping points on 15 - 30 yard shots because the top of the front sight is always a blur. Knowing this was coming, I bought a P-10F Optics Ready at the end of November. And last night I gave up and ordered an RMR from Euro Optic. I thought about an SRO but decided on the RMR because I can either sell it or just move it to my EDC P-01 after having it milled.

TBH I'm excited about not being constrained by the sights any more. I should have the RMR by Wednesday evening since Euro Optic is only one state away.
    If you are trying to go timmie, the RMR makes sense, otherwise the SRO is a far superior gaming optic, due to its much larger display. Previously, the RMR was used by +/- 5 percent of CO competitors at USPSA Nationals, and now the SRO is one of the most commonly used optics. I ran a SRO on a P10F OR model, using a CZ Custom RMR plate, and it worked great.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My wife’s match video from Saturday. She made A in Carry Optics today.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

I would guess your wife made A with some % to spare! Nice work!
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Quote Originally Posted by P.E. Kelley View Post
    I would guess your wife made A with some % to spare! Nice work!
    That is very nice of you, and yes she did! Her classifier scores have been lagging her match performance, but finally caught up.

The RMR came in today and I just got back from zeroing it.

Why did I wait this long? It really isn't that difficult to pick up the dot out of the holster or during transitions if you have a solid index.

I have some work to do on timing the streak during rapid pairs, but at no time did I lose the dot even with the RMRs relatively small window. I think the trick is to not look at the target through the optic but to look "past" the optic at the target. That subtle shift makes the optic's frame sort of disappear and it makes it easy to always see the dot.

I freaking LOVE it. Can't wait to go shooting again to keep working with it.

ETA: the dot really is merciless about showing you your shortcomings.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-09-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Holy smokes, she dominated that 1 handed shooting on that classifier stage!
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Holy smokes, she dominated that 1 handed shooting on that classifier stage!
    She paid her “one hand” dues during multiple visits to the Rogers School. On a classifier Sunday, 13-03 Short Sprint Standards, that involves very hard one hand shooting, she had a Mike on the stage and still shot a 78.37 on that classifier with the miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    The RMR came in today and I just got back from zeroing it.

Why did I wait this long? It really isn't that difficult to pick up the dot out of the holster or during transitions if you have a solid index.

I have some work to do on timing the streak during rapid pairs, but at no time did I lose the dot even with the RMRs relatively small window. I think the trick is to not look at the target through the optic but to look "past" the optic at the target. That subtle shift makes the optic's frame sort of disappear and it makes it easy to always see the dot.

I freaking LOVE it. Can't wait to go shooting again to keep working with it.

ETA: the dot really is merciless about showing you your shortcomings.
    ETA2: the dot also shows you without a doubt which backstrap provides the most natural point of aim at the end of the draw stroke. I can already see why so many say these things will really help make you a better shooter, period.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 01-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.

As I have mentioned before, Tuesday Night Steel at Rio Salado is an integral part of the Arizona shooting scene, and some of the most fun to be had shooting. You just show up Tuesday afternoon, and shoot four or five stages, that change each week. Generally there are 200+ shooters, and real heat competing. Here is a compilation of the stages yesterday.

And here is Nils shooting a stage yesterday — he owns Tuesday Night Steel.

User Tag List