Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Red dot vs iron sight gun

My wife has been shooting USPSA since May, in Limited minor with a Glock 34. Late last week, she started shooting her same 34 lower with a DP Pro, to help her iron sight shooting. Almost immediately, it helped her shot calling.

Sunday, she shot her first match with a dot to provide some match stress using the optic, and really enjoyed it. Her overall match placement was about ten percent higher than withna 34 with iron sights. Today, all she wanted to shoot was her dot.

For those of you on the fence about a dot, I think it is very worthwhile no matter whether you are an iron sight shooter or want to migrate to a dot.

Here is my wife’s match video, and she had zero issues acquiring the dot, even on the classifier which involved strings of strong and support hand shooting.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Mercifully, Aimpoint has delayed my decision point.

But on a 19MOS or hold out for a 45 MOS? . . . Cause that's the only freakin one of my Glocks I care to shoot anymore!

(yep, uppers can switch but I don't want an orphaned safe queen 19.5)
    Last edited by JHC; 11-26-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

But on a 19MOS or hold out for a 45 MOS? . . . Cause that's the only freakin one of my Glocks I care to shoot anymore!

I think a two gun set of a G45 and G5 19 MOS make the perfect pair as you can mix and match for EDC and gaming.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think a two gun set of a G45 and G5 19 MOS make the perfect pair as you can mix and match for EDC and gaming.
    I get that. But I've been doing very well at making it my life's mission to EDC this G45 and it's working like a boss. LOL

It outshoots all my 19s and 17s. What exactly is its voodoo I'm not certain. But I digress. Aimpoint saved me for a few more months.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post

Well, you can always send that no-cutout 19.5 frame my way... lol.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Great shooting!! Really torn between getting the new 34 for gaming but as GJM mentioned the 19/45 combo would be awesome. Have the original gen 5 19 and the 19x so kinda duplicating the 19 by getting the MOS. (have a gen 4 19 with an rmr also). Sure wish they were compatible with the gen 5's.

Went into a store to buy an mos 19 or a 45, but was surprised by how slick the finish was and the lack of purchase afforded by the front serrations on the 45.

Walked out with what is now my 3rd 19x and took advantage of ATEI’s sale and shipped the slide to them for an RMR cut today. By the way, their 15% off sale runs through early December.

I have tried warming up to an RMR in the past, but gravitated back to irons. But that’s it - mounted on my favorite gun, the RMR is here to stay.
    Last edited by Maca; 11-26-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ...Here is my wife’s match video...
    Very impressive. Charlie makes me want to be a better shooter!

A dot is a great training tool. Since it makes aiming a lot easier, it allows one to focus on other things, like trigger control.

I shot my first carry optics match this past weekend. Admittedly, I think I’d have done better with my limited gun, but that’s just a familiarity thing.

I’m no stranger to dot sights, having shot an open gun before USPSA had any divisions. I do favor the stationary dot over reciprocating, but again, that might be a familiarity thing. A few guys I know run a slide ride dot in open.

Great video, and great shooting.

I think I am going to watch that first stage about 10 times. Maybe her Texas star technique will somehow be sent to me via the web.

User Tag List