Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    When I tested back to back on carry guns, I was just better with a dot so I’m pretty much all dots and just use irons for 22LR practice to so I can still do it.

In 10 years all slides will be optics ready from the factory.
    I'd say more like five.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

To continue balancing dot videos with irons videos, today' contribution is right here

This is a 71% run. Two steel makeups cost me quite a bit.

Today's match was won by an M class Limited shooter, followed by Open - A, PCC - M and CO - M.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I'd say more like five.
    I think the majority will have them in 5... but there will still be holdouts from FUDD companies for a few more years past that, I think.

I shot a Hundo on a classifier today with a dot.

Dots rule.

All alpha except two charlie

This is my "confirm vision" speed. I had exactly enough rounds that I couldn't make any make up shots, so I went at a pace that I made sure I saw what I needed from the dot.

You can hear the alpha calls at the end (faces blurred to protect the innocent). Only a single charlie on each of two far targets, the rest were all alphas.

My hoser speed is faster, but this is as slow as I have to go to confirm hits are good.

I love dots. I could never get the iron near / far focus thing resolved to my liking. This way I just look at the target and pull the trigger.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    My G19 and G26 slides went in the mail to Jagerwerks today for serrations, ACRO direct milling, and re-nitriding. Ordered BUIS as well. Only thing I need is a 3rd ACRO.

Have a few expenses coming up so I am holding off on getting more guns milled for now, but already wondering what I'll end up with next. Tempted to get a 43 milled as that would give me the full spectrum of carry pistol sizes, but the "slimline" mRDS options are really lacking. The RMRcc is the only one that I would reflexively trust out of the box, but the Holosun 507k's features are much better.

Eventually will work my way through all of my carry guns until they have dots on them but still seems like all options out there are a compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The RMRcc is the only one that I would reflexively trust out of the box, but the Holosun 507k's features are much better.

Eventually will work my way through all of my carry guns until they have dots on them but still seems like all options out there are a compromise.
    I hear ya man, for my carry gun I opted for an accurate set of iron BUIS just in case.

And then just treat the dot as gravy over irons.

But at least the impact and reliability testing of the 507k has been excellent in published testing.

One thing I’ll mention is that the 32MOA circle reticle of the 507k gives it a larger “virtual window” than the physical window since you can track and locate the ring when the center dot is off the screen.

So for self defense work with a small carry gun, it punches above its weight.

I know I’ve posted this before, but this is Triple Nickel drill with a P365 / 507k. Even with a small gun at max splits, I can track the circle/dot under recoil.

I hear ya man, for my carry gun I opted for an accurate set of iron BUIS just in case.

And then just treat the dot as gravy over irons.

But at least the impact and reliability testing of the 507k has been excellent in published testing.

One thing I’ll mention is that the 32MOA circle reticle of the 507k gives it a larger “virtual window” than the physical window since you can track and locate the ring when the center dot is off the screen.

So for self defense work with a small carry gun, it punches above its weight.

I know I’ve posted this before, but this is Triple Nickel drill with a P365 / 507k. Even with a small gun at max splits, I can track the circle/dot under recoil.
    This is good to know. Definitely planning on suppressor height BUIS for all of my CCW guns.

I think for now given that I am happy ish with the options for doublestack guns I am going to stick to those. Just put in an order with Maple Leaf to have their carry package (cut for optic/front & rear serrations/re-nitride) done for the backup g19 and g26s (the twins of the two guns already out for ACRO work). Will probably go with RMR type 2s for both, simply for durability considerations, but Holosuns are tempting too. Fortunately the cut should work for both optics at least.

Going to hang tight with my smaller guns until a better consensus choice emerges. With the summer rolling around I will have (a small amount of) time to verify function with doublestacks before cooler weather hits. Can revisit the single stack guns down the line.

I’ve said this before, but I think one of the possible futures is a generation of RDS with built in backup-only irons - ones that will get you minute of pie plate at 10M if your optic goes tits up when things get sporty, and no more than that. When that happens in conjunction with truly reliable electronics, I think we will see mass acceptance of dots on defensive pistols. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it...
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I’ve said this before, but I think one of the possible futures is a generation of RDS with built in backup-only irons - ones that will get you minute of pie plate at 10M if your optic goes tits up when things get sporty, and no more than that. When that happens in conjunction with truly reliable electronics, I think we will see mass acceptance of dots on defensive pistols. Just my opinion, worth what you paid for it...
    The future is already here! The RMSc, 507k and Romeo Zero all have integrated rear sights that are same height as factory rears so work with factory fronts.

That is how my current carry setup is.

Name:  2F833BB7-3494-4331-8CCD-7184811B3D8D.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  18.2 KB

Name:  21509AEF-38FF-4887-8BE2-F5B6C8658A4B.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  66.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    This is good to know. Definitely planning on suppressor height BUIS for all of my CCW guns.

I think for now given that I am happy ish with the options for doublestack guns I am going to stick to those. Just put in an order with Maple Leaf to have their carry package (cut for optic/front & rear serrations/re-nitride) done for the backup g19 and g26s (the twins of the two guns already out for ACRO work). Will probably go with RMR type 2s for both, simply for durability considerations, but Holosuns are tempting too. Fortunately the cut should work for both optics at least.

Going to hang tight with my smaller guns until a better consensus choice emerges. With the summer rolling around I will have (a small amount of) time to verify function with doublestacks before cooler weather hits. Can revisit the single stack guns down the line.
    I know you’re kind of a equipment purist / traditionalist, but I tend to favor extreme software development that makes the hardware less important if that makes sense. I’m pretty comfortable with my gun handling and index that even without any sights I’m still probably better off than most people with sights out to a reasonable distance.

My G26s have been retired for this setup:

G43x with Brownells optic cut slide with Agent Night sights and S15 magazine. I don’t carry this, but if I did I would put an RMSc or 507k on it. The Romeo is good enough for light duty but I don’t like polymer optics due to flex.

Name:  471F3D29-7D9E-4A4A-A31F-29CF43032A87.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  83.8 KB

I favor the RMSc/507k/RomeoZero over the RMScc due to wanting a normal height front sight, but that’s just preference since I’ve never had a suppressor sight snag on anything on a concealed draw.

I know you’re kind of a equipment purist / traditionalist, but I tend to favor extreme software development that makes the hardware less important if that makes sense. I’m pretty comfortable with my gun handling and index that even without any sights I’m still probably better off than most people with sights out to a reasonable distance.

My G26s have been retired for this setup:

G43x with Brownells optic cut slide with Agent Night sights and S15 magazine. I don’t carry this, but if I did I would put an RMSc or 507k on it. The Romeo is good enough for light duty but I don’t like polymer optics due to flex.

Name:  471F3D29-7D9E-4A4A-A31F-29CF43032A87.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  83.8 KB

I favor the RMSc/507k/RomeoZero over the RMScc due to wanting a normal height front sight, but that’s just preference since I’ve never had a suppressor sight snag on anything on a concealed draw.
    Haha, I do wear my gear conservatism on my sleeve...

The 43x slides are very interesting to me. I find that set up a lot more appealing than having my 48s milled, as I've always felt like I probably would like the shorter slide. Also would feel less guilty testing out a 507k with an aftermarket slide that I could sell off if I wasn't happy with the end product. Hmmm.

User Tag List