Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28363738

Thread: Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'll repost this here because it's a decent data point for the title of this thread.
    No irons right? That’s excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I'll repost this here because it's a decent data point for the title of this thread.
    You did all that with NO dot AND no Irons? Im impressed AF! Congratulations!!!

I’m curious,.. what the distance to farthest targets were? Those cameras always distort that & make it hard to judge!

Red dot vs iron sight gun

Quote Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
    You did all that with NO dot AND no Irons? Im impressed AF! Congratulations!!!

I’m curious,.. what the distance to farthest targets were? Those cameras always distort that & make it hard to judge!
    Thanks. I think the farthest targets were no more than 15 yds. You’ll note that the miss on the steel was when I had to lean and my arm triangle was compromised. For the other targets, I was able to rely on index, and the bullets went where I was looking. Good exercise. I plan to shoot some more dot off in practice.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Actual irons versus red dots

So for Steel Challenge I made A in all divisions and M in CO, PCCO, RFPO, RFPI, RFRO, RFRI…

PCCI is a soft peak time so I made GM in that.

I went back to optics after working PCCI, RFRI and RFPI… and it went really well. Couple of Hundos and a bunch of M+/GM- runs without practicing them on PCCI, RFRO, RFPO.

Irons definitely helped my optics shooting at this level. I’m still not a good pistol iron shooter, it’s hard to constrain the head so narrowly inline with the sights for me.

Six weeks post surgery, my wife shot her first match using both hands to hold the pistol today. She swears that shooting is therapeutic for increasing her range of motion.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

A friend of a friend was at the match today with his drone. I didn't realize he was filming me until he asked if I would like to see the footage of this stage. Very interesting perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A friend of a friend was at the match today with his drone. I didn't realize he was filming me until he asked if I would like to see the footage of this stage. Very interesting perspective.
    A while back Stoeger was doing breakdown of stages using drone imaging. Having shot this stage and seeing this vid, does it extend beyond the cool factor and into the useful category?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    A while back Stoeger was doing breakdown of stages using drone imaging. Having shot this stage and seeing this vid, does it extend beyond the cool factor and into the useful category?
    I think that USPSA might have banned drones at matches after one crash landed on an active stage.

A number of people do it (safer) with 10' tall selfie sticks on range carts.

EDIT: this is the drone policy for championships

https://uspsa.org/policies/view/39da...e%20Policy.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Good question. I find third person video most useful, but I think helmet cam and this view offer additional info.

User Tag List